Great Fence Of USA

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nips, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Romania & Bulgaria? following EU migration curbs :D

Apologies for the fact it's an old story (a year), although I don't think a fence is the answer, you can understand the desire to do something when you've events like this happening just a stones throw away:

US shuts Mexican border consulate

2. Huh? The US fence NOT A WALL is to try and stop Mexicans coming IN not stop anyone going OUT. Plus they won't have minefields and shot to kill policies for the guards. And unlike the one between India and Bangladesh it won't be electrified either.....how you can try and link the Berlin Wall with an anti illegal immigrant measure.....8-(

If the Mexicans sorted their corrupt government out and so on then there wouldn't be some 6 MILLION illegals in the US today. Want to try and claim the same thing for the fence 'twixt Saudi and Iraq? The ones 'twixt Spain's wee colonies and the rest of Morocco?

I note the French Foreign Minister has now said that Israel needs her security fence to stop terrorism...funny how the BBC etc haven't reported THAT major change in French policy!

3. One report I saw said it's just a pre November Election vote getter that business will see does not Happen post the Congressional Election.
    john

4. I don't see an issue with it. If they're spending the money on the Border Patrol, INS, and other agencies, they might as well help them enforce the border with a few obstacles. Otherwise, just abolish the agencies, and have full open immigration for everyone.

NTM

5. It's obviously not just Manuel the gardener,sending money home to his family types,the US are worried about:

Hezbollah, Illegal Immigration, and the Next 9/11 (not 'all illegals are terrorists'- article is about would be terrorists exploiting the lack of a border)

Terror Threat On Southern Border - There Are Already Cases To Prove It

6. From a practical point of view it's as useful as tits on a fish. From a political point of view it has two purposes

1. It makes the people who are trying to get re-elected in 2 weeks time appear to be doing something useful to the people who aren't paying attention/lack the cognitive ability to realise that what they're doing is pointless.

2. More pork.

7. They'll still get out, they'll just get out via Canada.