Great Britons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Oct 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Great Britons Link

Edited to add, according to this Daily Telegraph article, you have until November 24 2006 to get your nomination in.

2. Corporal Mark Wright

3. Isambard Kingdom Brunel will always be the greatest Briton, as far as im concerned.

4. Watt, Fleming, Nelson, Whittle, Caxton, Beckett (Thomas not Margret)

5. Tony Blair. Who else could possibly come close? Maybe David Beckham or whoever won the latest Big Brother.

6. CGS has certainly be getting a lot of post recently, and it would be a good CI of sentiment to get him up there, at least in the nominations. The key question is: which category - business or public life? The latter would be a possibility (alongside David Walliams).
    Could be a worthwhile campaign - any moderators around?

7. Just nominated CGS three times, thought I'd get the ball rolling. Collectively we could easily get him enough votes to get his picture shown for those not so familair with him.

8. Nominated CGS in the Public Life category. In my nomination I majored on how he has shown clear integrity and courage at the highest levels of public life, in a demonstrable way where others dodge the column. Lets get that theme in too?

9. Aye CGS, just nominated him, star man that he his...

10. I've nominated CGS for his proprietorial approach to the Army.

11. Linking to the other thread - Having a vague but passing acquaintance with CGS, I would say he would be mortally embarrassed at being nominated as the Greatest Briton 2006. However, to be present at the awards ceremony and pick up the prize on behalf of the ordinary British Soldier (aka Tommy Atkins) would be much more to his liking.

I do also believe that no single soldier should be nominated, as it is all of us poor bug*ers who have to work through and support the cra*p dropped on us by the Politicians.

I therefore believe that the nominations should be for poor old “Tommy” rather than someone specific.

Anyone care to comment?

12. I agree with the idea that Tommy Atkins is a fairer representation, but who would actually pick up the award: OCdt Wales?

Richard Dannatt's embarassment would be infinitesimal compared to Tony Blair's if he were to win it.

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

'For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that an’ “Chuck him out, the brute!”
    But it’s “Saviour of ‘is country’ when the guns begin to shoot;

Kipling’s lines were written long ago. Today, Tommy Atkins observes that, well, not much has changed.

Thank you Mister Atkins - God Bless.

Goatman

(49 words)