Great Briton 2006 Award Scheme

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Englishspringer, Nov 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Received this via Email & it struck a Chord:

Take 30 seconds of your time. Nominate Private Thomas ‘Tommy’ Atkins for the Great Briton 2006 now, and prevent some faceless, self-satisfied, smug public figure walking away with it!

There is another Great Britons award scheme underway. As usual some overpaid, overexposed, "celebrity" will probably win but I think it is time that we recognised the unsung heroes who make us proud to be British.

I'm referring to the British soldier serving his country in the most dangerous parts of the world with seemingly no thanks from anybody. He is called Tommy Atkins! What a scream if he were to win!

If you agree go to: www.greatbritons.org

And nominate Tommy Atkins under the Public Life section (although campaigning might seem more appropriate - this would be lost on our civilian friends).

2. I just had a look and realised you have to put a short piece of text in to say why Tommy Atkins should be nominated - so what would you suggest is written? :?

3. I just had a look and realised you have to put a short piece of text in to say why Tommy Atkins should be nominated - so what would you suggest is written? :?

4. I put words to the effect of:

I nominate Thomas Atkins for repeatedly and selflessly serving others, regardless of race or creed. For enduring the harshest conditions with a smile and helping others who are victims of oppression or natural disaster.

You only have 50 words so they have to hit hard!

5. '' specific living individuals''

there are two threads on the go already.

Tommy Atkins is a noble proposition - but these votes will not be counted as they do nt meet the requisits of the competition