Great British Designs

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by 58_Pattern, Mar 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Spitfire is down to the last three of fantastic British design icons alongside Concorde & the London Tube Map. Please click on the link below and vote for the old Spit. Also I would like you to give an example of truly single outstanding 'thing' or event that stands out as been sooooooooo British. I will start the thread..

The Picture of the Royal Marines yomping in the Falklands War of 82 with the Union Jack. I was 13 at the time and it struck me then what it meant to be British.

Anyway this is the link

::: C l i c k :::

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/designquest/vote/

2. Blackadder and Monty python Fawlty towers.

3. Sorry, mate, but for me as a life-long gorblimey Cockney it has to be the London Underground map, it's a design classic and I've got one framed on my wall.

Love the Spitfire, ruined about fifty Airfix versions, but there it is.

As for the Falklands, well we must be about the same age and I couldn't agree more.

4. The Dont cry for me Argentina draped over the side of the ships going down there Quality My first view of forces humour

5. A fcuking Map as a design icon???

Fcuking civvy lightweights

6. Tube map definately - I'm not going to support crabs or civcrabs! :lol:

7. Aaagghhh chaps the auld Spit kept this country free. Even now as a retired rupert when I visit England and hear the growl of a Merlin engine or see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the gorgeous sight of a Spit over a British Landmark it sums up the valor, fight and sense of belonging that they had on the beaches, on the Atlantic Conveys and in the air. Long may we be blessed with our forces humour and birthright of being British.

8. 58, I concur and have voted accordingly.
    A bloke I know up here who lives in Wigan, bought a Merlin engine, an original from a RAF spitfire, which he runs occasionally(the airframe fell to bits and could not be repaired).
    The times I have been there when its running, I get wood!..........................knowing it flew for real at one time in its life and was probably involved in action. How is that for patriotic?

NB

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

TSR-2! Until cancelled by Labour.It would have probably still been in service today.We'ed have had no RAF Phantom's,no Jaguar & no Tornado jets.Billions of pounds saved to date as well.
    Unfortunatly as well,the septics got pi$$ed off as tey were trying to sell the F-111 as well.

10. Northern Biff

You are the boy. Thanks for voting. You have great DNA and are truly one of the chosen race. Many feel called but few are chosen.

Best regards

CJA

11. CJD surely?

12. Yes, yes, great stuff. But read Corelli Barnett on the British aircraft industry in the 1930s and the relative merits of the Spitfire and the Messerschmitt 109 in 'The Audit of War'. You'll never look at the Spit in the same way again.

13. FCUK OFF YOU HERETIC.

14. Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, Lightning, Vulcan, Hunter and the Lotus Esprit :)

15. aston martin DB9 and fcuk off all u inevitable miserable barstewards with your "but aston isn't english anymore" whining.

also the Noble M12GTO