Great Britain is 300 years old today

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Snorkel_Grid, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems to have gone largely unnoticed that Great Britain is 300 years old today!

Most likley reason is that it would offend the Ethnics.

”The Acts of Union were a pair of Acts of Parliament passed in 1706 and 1707 (taking effect on 2 May 1707) by, respectively, the Parliament of England and the Parliament of Scotland. The Acts were the implementation of the Treaty of Union negotiated between the two states.

The Acts created a new state, the Kingdom of Great Britain, by merging the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. The two countries had shared a monarch since the Union of the Crowns in 1603, but had retained separate sovereign parliaments.

The Acts of Union dissolved both parliaments and replaced them with a new Parliament of Great Britain, based at Westminster, the former home of the English Parliament. This is referred to as the Union of the Parliaments.

More on this aspect of our neglected national history may be found HERE

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The Kingdom is dead, long live the Kingdom

3. The Act of Union was and remains a betrayal of England. I shall celebrate when it is repealed.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I will not, I will shed a tear as the nationalists beat their drums and march to battle.

5. Happy Birthday GB. You're looking a little tired and worn down but I still love you. Like Linda Lusardi, you glory days may have passed but I still like you

6. Hang on! There's no mention of Wales in that there Act of Union.

Does this mean that, being on a course in England, I should forthwith hand myself in to the local constabulary (as an illegal ignorant) and submit myself for endless hours of buggery on the village green (for the amusement of the local populace) all to the tune of Rule Britannia?

Long live the back doors!!

7. That's because that particular bunch of celts already belonged to the kingdom! Whats wrong with Rule Britannia anyway.

8. Nowt. I should imagine it's a wonderful piece of music to bash away to.

A mate of mine does all his shaggging to classical music.......allegedly!

Shame I miss out on the village green frolics.......I'll have to surrender myself to MDN instead. I'm sure he'll welcome any excuse.

9. For those of you who are Welsh a little bit of local music follows:

Attached Files:

10. It is to do with sheep shaggers. The rest of the Union couldn't make communication to the welsh males, as they were in the fields having a sing a song extolling the virtues of "Fluffy sheep". They just annexed wales by forging documents.

Sheep shagger (alternative spelling: Sheepshagger) is a term aimed at people living in rural areas where populations of sheep are greater than those of the human residents, such as rural Ireland, Aberdeen, Wales,Aussie or New Zealand, implying they perform sexual acts with sheep. Usage of this term is normally restricted to within the British and Irish Isles and mostly aimed at the Welsh.

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_shagger

Very funny story

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006510113,00.html

11. Exactly you were never given the choice they just invaded you, and the Irish. When they tried to do that to us we kicked them out but after a few hundred years they managed to raise the cash to buy out our parliament, which was quite timely because most of our 'important people had just lost a whole shed load of cash in a place callled Darien so were quite gald when these English blokes turned up with a new shed load of cash.

Peter

12. You really need to study real History old boy and not the Hollywood version.

We did what we always did, divide and conquer with a little bit of Prima Nocte thrown in just to improve your gene pool although obviously that wasn't very succesful in your case.

Besides which the true Scots are actually Irish and half your country belongs to Northumbria.

Post English independence this will be useful when we extend the Otterburn impact area northwards a hundred miles or so.

13. It really is a shame that you managed to lose all of France whilst beating up the small kids next door.

Peter

14. We didn't lose France, we gave it to the Germans!

15. Just carry on giving us the water, ffs.