Great Britain: 300th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chalky, Sep 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now, unless I'm very much mistaken, next May is the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union (1707) which joined the nations of England and Scotland into one legal and binding union, forming that country-stealing, industrial spawning entity that we all know and love as Great Britain.

Now, all inevitable rantings about loss of Britishness blahblahblahboringcakes aside, is this an event worth marking?

We have no 'official' birth in the sense of the US declaration of Making a Poor Choice About Running Things Ourselves, or Bastille day where the french ceremoniously remember releasing all of the convincts who have since ran the country, so is the recognition of the Act of Union worth it, or shall we continue bimbling along praying for the time when we can all have a day off for St George's day?

Can anyone think of a more suitable day?
  2. Splendid comradely suggestion. A capital idea. Although I couldn't help noticing the following exchange in the Scottish Parliament, on the same suggestion:

One nil to the Cairns me thinks!
  3. Definitely. I think I way sent a letter to my MP asking if there are any government plans.

Edited to add: did a quick search and the question has already been asked.
  4. I agree. The best way to mark the event would be to repeal the Scotland Act (1997) and get rid of that bunch of lunatics posing as 4th XI level politicians. Let the pigeons takeover the building - they would make less mess, less useless noise and come up with morse sense.