Grays Lane revisited? Californian version

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by OldSnowy, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Just to show that the events at Ashtead are mirrored elsewhere:

GUERNEVILLE, Calif. — Merry Lane, a cul-de-sac shaded by redwoods in Sonoma County wine country, would seem a pleasant place to recover from the psychic wounds of war. Nadia McCaffrey’s dream is to set up a group home there for veterans plagued by post-traumatic stress disorder.

But she is running into stiff resistance from the neighbors. They not only object to the brand-new structure itself, which looks like a four-story apartment house wedged amid their cabins, they are also worried that deranged veterans will move in.

At a community meeting in December, “one person was concerned that even firecrackers would set these people off,” said Andrew Eckers, 54, who lives across the street.

McCaffrey, whose son was killed in Iraq in 2004, said she has tried to reassure the neighbors, but “they are afraid of it because they don’t want to understand it.”

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/03/ap_ptsdhome_032308/

Perhaps someone here should offer our support to the wonderful US Lady involved in settingup this Charity - to let her know that she is not alone, and that public opinion can be a powerful force in swaying the initial feelings of confused and ignorant locals?

2. Indeed - good for her! Magnificent effort. Has anyone already sent her to a link to avery special and remarkable thread that needs no name on this website. That alone would surely reassure her that the NIMBY is an endangered species. Well, it is in Grays Lane.

3. I also think that some support from this side of the pond cant do any harm, was or is there a link to anything similar to the same sort of site as was set up for grays lane etc.

I cant seem too find any having googled around a bit anything directly linking too the PSTD centre she hopes to set up.

Perhaps one or two of the Grays lane topcats could email her some advice and the like!

4. OK, so may be its ok to seek reassurrance about how such a home will be managed, may be its even OK to say "I don't like the 4 story design, can we have a large two story one and not cut out my light" It is NOT ok to demonise the people who protect you, Anyone fancy a trip to california?

Trotsky