Gravy

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by wompingwillow, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm really rubbish at making gravy, any tips

thanks

Prepared for incoming

WW

2. Place any veg peelings(carrot,parsnip broccoli storks sliced) on roasting tray take a large sweet onion peel and slice about one inch thick place in tray top with joint of meat seasoned(no oil),Cook for twenty minutes add stock so it covers veg (aldershot stock/water) will do continue cooking turn joint half a turn half way though cooking.Remove joint wrap in clingfilm and silver foil.Place the contents of roasting tray into blender and blend till smooth check for seasoning.On opening the joint you will find a fair amount of juices add these to gravy correct consisentence.
    This method also means Ainsley Harriott doesn't have to bother with the Fairy as the roasting tray just wipes clean .

3. You can't even use Bisto Granules ???? :chef: :hungry:

4. Pour HP sauce into a gravy boat, add a drop of water and stir. Loosely cover with clingfilm and nuke for 1 minute.

Serve as gravy.

If your usual gravy is as bad as you make out, then the family are in for a pleasant surprise.

5. Add marmite.

If you've never done that, do it.

6. Cheers for the tips guys

Actually its a long running family joke that I can't even make it with Bisto Granules, it ether ends up a thick lumpy mess or to0 thin. I try making Shepards pie and it always ether becomes soild or the gravy leaks through the potato!

7. really cheap idea but the best i have found are tesco value gravy granules, they are really nice flavour and you can get a lubbly jubbly thick sauce...

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The use of the bed of onions, garlic heads and veg for a joint during roasting gives a great base for gravy.

9. ask if they can issue it in ration packs - then you can just steal them instead

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My recipe for very posh port gravy.

You will need:
    Port or red wine
    Garlic
    A red onion
    beef oxo cubes
    capers

Method:
    Roast the onion with the joint of meat. When the joint is finished, drain the fat and the now mushy, cooked onion. Put these into a sauce pan with the garlic (crushed), chuck in a beef oxo cube and top up with a bit of port or wine. Add some boiling water and simmer for a bit. Use a spoon or whatever to crush the juices out of the onion and garlic. Once it has boiled down into a nice thick sauce take out the remaining onion and other chunky bits or you can just throw it all in a blender. For a really poncy final touch put some whole capers into the gravy and serve.

This gravy tastes great and is really good for disguising Siht cooking, seriously you could pour this on dog poo and it would be palatable.

11. Vegetarian Gravy (I know, I Know!!) - needs to be made at least a day before it is needed

50g butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    100g shallotts - finely chopped
    50g celery finely chopped
    50g carrots - finely chopped
    50g mushrooms (the stalks are good for this)
    0.5 tsp dried thyme
    0.5 tsp dried tarrogan
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    pinch salt
    3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
    half pint red wine
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    3 tbsp flour
    2 pints vegetable stock
    1 tbsp soy sauce

1. Heat the butter and oil in a deep saucepan or casserole dish
    2. Add the shallotts, carrots, celery, mushrooms, herbs, salt and garlic and sweat (without colouring) for 5 minutes
    3. Add the red wine, bring to a gentle boil and reduce by half
    4. Stir in tomato puree and flour and cook for 2 minutes
    5. Add the stock and soy sauce and bring to the boil
    6. Simmer until all the vegetables are tender, then pass through a fine sieve.

You now have about 1 pint of gravy - this is best kept for at least a day before using to help the flavour develop. It can also be frozen.

Variations: - add madeira, sherry, marsala, redcurrant jelly or mustard depending on your taste or what you are serving it with. Some people add mint, cream or horseradish - but I am yet to be convinced about these!

12. This is ok, assuming he wants to cook a joint of meat. If no meat is to hand...

Make a fresh vegetable stock by roasting roughly chopped carrots, celery and onions, add water and simmer on the stove for an hour or so. Bring to the boil, then add gravy granules. Sorted. (I like to add a dash of gravy browning to mine as well.)

As for the comment about lumps when using granules, bring the stock or water to the boil properly before adding the granules one spoon at a time, whisking as you do so. Lumps are formed when the granules are left unwhisked.

13. That's closer to a chasseur sauce than a gravy!

14. I know :)...but it tastes delicious with meat or vegetarian dishes, especially Mushroom Welllington......mmmmm....mmmmm!