Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Aintbrokedontfixit, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me if I can get a new graphics card put in my laptop or is it better to buy a new laptop.
    Please take into account I am a mong where computers are concerned.
  2. Do you want to upgrade, or replace with the same card?

Not many laptops are upgradeable.
  3. Upgrade, Ive just bought a new laptop, told the spotty git in the store what i wanted. Only to be told later that the graphics card wasnt upto some of the action games.
  4. Then take it back to the shop :)
  5. msr

msr LE

They are not upgradeable.

And next time, ask for advice here before you buy ;)
  6. Some are, but they are very very limited and involve considerable understandign and confidence to disassemble a notebook. Del M1730 for example can take 8600, 8800 or 9800 GPU's, but again not just any, only ones made by dell for them.
  7. Yep, but you'd think the t##t in the shop would have given good advice as I said price wasnt a big factor.
    Ah well....crappy games for me then.#
  8. What GPU do you have?
  9. GPU ?????
    sorry its all french to me, Id rather use a playstation but wont fit it in my kit
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Graphics Processing Unit.

As someone said, if you bought it recently return it as not fit for purpose described.
  11. Yep tried that. the store dont want to know.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you have been sold a product that doesn't meet the claims of the vendor then you have recourse under The Consumer Protection Act 1987 and The Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If you mentioned specific games, or described the games that you wanted to install and the laptop is not capable of running them, then you have been miss sold a product, and it is not fit for purpose.

The relevant details are in here:

Note that you must have been specific with the salesman as to what you wanted the product for, and your recent purchase must have been just that. Ie you didn't buy it six months ago, and have only just found out.

Present the case to the store manager. If he fails to give you a satisfactory answer tell him that you will take the issue up with the CAB and potentially The Small Claims Court. If he still doesn't budge go to you local CAB and explain everything to them.

PC World (if it is them) are tossers when it comes to their returns policy, and will do everything to avoid it.
  13. If he bought it from PC World he deserves to be anally violated by a syphilitic Baboon.

They are the biggest bunch of cvnts. I love going in and fvcking the sales reps about.

On a serious note if you can't upgrade the GPU you might have to upgrade the whole motherboard/system board.