Graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Trans-sane, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Once many years ago I was passably familiar with the hardware that went into a gaming PC, but now I'm seriously behind the curve. Had a quick look at the PC World website and took to it like a grizzly bear to neuro-surgery. So a question for those more qualified in computer geekery than me (my geek has other interests):-

Given a budget of ~£150 which would you pick? I apparently have a GeForce 8200.

As for the PC World bit (I know they are a ******* gash shop), I have £150 of Curry's/PC World vouchers to spend...

2. Do you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot?

3. Trans-sane

I aint got a ******* clue and don't know how to find out ;)

4. Your motherboard (GeForce 8200) has a PCI Express x16 slot for graphics cards. Suggest you towards a GeForce Graphics Card. Would suggest ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1GB, available from PC World for around £85.

5. Be very careful with PC world as there friggin useless. I had a Graphics card fitted by them which blew my PSU as the graphics card was too powerful for the PSU that was on there. This caused errors to the motherboard and in the end after they finished tried to charge me well over £250. After standing my ground for four hours in their shop telling them and every customer who came in what had happened (and watching customers walk away with their computers deciding to go else where) They charged me for the graphics card only and admitted it was their fault.

Just make sure its compatiable unlike the muppets in the shop whos supposed to be experts.

6. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Don't buy ATI, and don't buy from PC World. Get yourself on dabs.co.uk or something.

Sent from my X10i, probably from the loo, using Tapatalk.

7. You need to consider a few things when buying a card

1 - How good is your power supply? Will it be able to cope with the extra demand a more powerful card will require
    2 - How good is your cooling? If you've got a case packed with dirt and clogged fans, clean these out before buying anything. Then run AIDA32 to get an idea of your internal temps.
    3 - How good is your memory & motherboard? No use buying a much better graphic card if your board won't take the strain.

Stay away from PC World as their choice is shocking. Hit Aria, Scan & Overclockers to see what sort of cards fall in your budget, keep an eye on their deals for a day/week and compare with Dabs & Ebuyer etc to get a good deal. Don't buy a card straight away, leave it a few days and see if it crops up on the deals.

Last bit of advice is this. Don't Piss in your computer case.

8. Trans-sane

This computer was bought with an eye on upgrading the graphic card. Power supply and motherboard were both picked to have spare capacity (how much I don't know). And I'm going to get it from PC World becuase I have VOUCHERS for Currys so therefore will not in fact be spending my own hard-earned cash.

9. *yawn* if you PM me I'll e-mail you a trade pricelist which has some nice Nvidia models

10. OK so far. Are you going to ask them to fit it or do it yourself?

Important question because if you buy a big shiny card that is guaranteed to be compatible, it might be physically too big to fit into your computer case. Both ATI and nVIDEA mid range, mid price cards are bigger than their predecessors.

Had that problem myself a while ago. (I assemble a newer rig every few years, damn if I know how they work though.)

Caveat emptor buyer beware, particularly PC World etc.

B

11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Put the vouchers on eBay. You'll get their face value, near as damn it, and then you can use a real computer shop and save pennies.

Sent from my X10i, probably from the loo, using Tapatalk.

12. PC world? Do people still use that abortion of a shop?

13. Trans-sane

My bold. The phrase "Am I ****" springs to mind. Last time I was in that shop (recce for purchasing the discussed hardware) I got the distinct impression that most of the staff had failed their argos exam and had in fact been laughed out opf the door by Woolies. Wouldn't trust them to fit the boiling water to a mug of tea...

I'm competant to fit stuff and even install drivers. Anything beyond basic opperator skills is beyond me I will readily admit.