Graphene - stronger than diamond, faster than silicone

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Oct 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

Some clever fellow at Manchester University has just won the Nobel Prize for this:

Andre Geim: Why graphene is the stuff of the future - physics-math - 05 October 2010 - New Scientist

Made in Blighty too! Albeit by some Russian chap. Apparently it's going to be the wonder product of the future, to be used in aircraft, computers etc and the lab sheet design is only one atom thick! Hopefully it may have an impact on the recession, tho I spose it'll take a few years to reach the market.

More info about the wonder product here:

Quantum weirdness on the end of your pencil - physics-math - 08 July 2006 - New Scientist

Welcome to the high-carbon future - tech - 27 November 2009 - New Scientist

DC

2. I think the amazing part is that they got the thin layer by stripping them off with Sellotape! How low tech / cost effective can you get?

3. Huge boost for the university....Noble prize recipients on staff does wonders.

4. Think you mean Silicon - Silicone is used as a sealent and to make plastic tits.

5. Mein Gott! If only Count Zeppelin had been able to use this stuff!

6. The soft, silvery-grey form of pure carbon found in pencils consists of stacked-up sheets of interlinked carbon atoms. Separate these sheets to obtain gossamer films of carbon just one atom thick and you have a material called graphene, whose properties mimic those of the exotic substances found in collapsed stars

In the case of Pete Doherty, that would be heroin then!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Class, pure class!

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

To put things in perspective - carbon comes from blown up or collapsed stars, so it's nothing clever.

9. Biped, so do all the atoms in your body.

10. Biped and Drlligaf,

Thank you for bringing up this subject, I can now legitimately claim that I am actually revising for my OU Astronomy and Cosmology exam rather than wasting time reading Arrse.

11. Nothing clever then :)

12. Sorry Mr Deputy but that is planetary rather than stars and the universe.

13. Would make some rather effective body armour. Lightweight and stronger than anything else on earth.

14. Graphene - stretch a filament of the stuff between two points and do you have the perfect cutting tool?

Only, what would the two points be made of?

Or is Graphene the ultimate condom material?