Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Grumblegrunt, Apr 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

stuck there for the week doing a kitchen and some joinery/plumbing for the inlaws next week. as usual they have moved without looking at it properly

are there any decent takeaways for when I get fed up with old people food (both are 70+) or it is an asda job?

the local chip shop appears to be a purveyor of all master of none affair allthough their is a malayan and a cantonese nearby - council estate though so not hopefull.
  2. The Dragon Inn on London Road isn't bad, and if the Malayan takeaway is JC Malaysian the food is pretty good. Best chip shop in town is on Cecil Street. Enjoy.
  3. The Bindi Indian was quite good when I went there a couple of years ago.
  4. There's a takeaway on the road out of town towards camp before the left at McD's. It does decent scran.
  5. I was there for a course last summer, and noticed when I was driving through the town one morning there was a load of chavvy looking youths hanging about outside a YMCA looking type place drinking cans of fosters.

Get yourself in with them lot if you need to get away from it all for a bit. They looked care free and happy, unaffected by the pressures and strains of life in modern Britain, blissfully unaware that it was about 09.30 on a tuesday morning.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. As I have only been to Grantham once in my life for TA basic training in 1980, I am afraid my advice may be dated, it was shit hole then, is it still?
  7. Having grown up in Grantham, and escaping by joining the Army, I only go back to see my dear old mum, and if anything its a bigger shit hole now than it was in the 80s
  8. I've got to make a trip to the camp over there on Wednesday, I'll eat lunch in the cookhouse which is bad enough & then wait until I get back to eat in the evening!

If I was the OP I'd go down the ASDA route myself, although there's always Whetherspoons for a good old beer & burger option!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. Anyone else gutted this thread wasn't about Leslie Grantham? An insight to the Fusilier who killed a boxhead taxi driver.

In terms of the replies so far, vvaannmmaann's looks the most appealing.
  10. It was when I did my basic training (rather more recently), and remained so for the chaos that was Olympics mobilisation/demob.

Unfortunately, 7 RHA's idea of improving it by setting fire to it on a night out - again during the Olympics - wasn't well regarded by the powers that be.

OP - no advice, sorry mate. I was too cheap to eat anywhere other than the cookhouse, and I'd not recommend that to anyone!
  11. The 'Sainsburys' in Grantham does a good cooked breakfast..... I sometimes go there when visiting relatives who live just outside the town. A good cheap place to eat is the 'Musson Gap Carvery' pub on the A52 around 6 miles outside the town going towards Nottingham.... Good grub, and not too expensive...
  12. Having been in Grantham for a few years I can confirm that anywhere on the road out of Grantham is a good start.

Sent from my HTC Desire using ARRSE mobile app
    • Like Like x 1