Grant Shapps being investigated for having burning Pants

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fat_Cav, Oct 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that the ambitious Mr Shapps is being investigated for telling whoppers to individuals before he came an MP (and I'm not talking about his constituents :wink: )

Probe into company set up by Tory chairman Grant Shapps over claims he 'misled public' | Mail Online

[​IMG]

It's in other papers . .

Company founded by Grant Shapps to be investigated by Advertising Standards Agency - Telegraph

Grant Shapps: Use of alter ego was not sign of double life | Politics | The Guardian

2. Obviously he was getting in practice to be an MP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would imagine there would be a bigger outcry if he had tried to make money by saying "I am The Right Honourable Grant Shaps MP. Give me some money and I will help you get rich."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Probably a non story - he claims that his dealings with this company which he closed down before he became an MP have been fully disclosed and appear on his bio so call me a cynic but could this be Labour ploy to undermine the Tory part conference perhaps!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well Mr Schapps does claim that having an alter-ego is perfectly normal business practice and is nothing for anyone to get het up about.

6. I am really struggling to give a damn.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

9. Seems the excrement has finally hit the fan this morning..

Shapps is a bit of a wide boy who maybe conned CMD to the chairmanship of the Tory party by pretending he was an internet guru.

Turns out he was maybe writing "scraping software" that collects articles and then "spins" them into near-gibberish. Even back in 2006 this was pathetic and was seen as a like a crappy warrior forum service - a few lines of PHP knocked together by a 15 year old. It's laughable that he valued his business in the tens of millions.

Clear attempts to manipulate google ranking which when they find them gets your sites dropped from the index quicker than a red hot brick

No wonder he hid his ID under several false names.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/grant_shapps_michael_green_how_t

Seems the Met were subject to a FOI back in 2013 asking if they were considering nicking him (probably a bit late by then as he had friends in high places.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/sep/21/grant-shapps-posed-web-guru

Guardian had an inkling not was all well back in September 2012.

And finally the knife in the back straight from the script kiddie forums themselves.

http://www.warriorforum.com/search-engine-optimization/376668-traffic-paymaster.html

Should be noted that Howtocorps posting on that forum is probably Shapps himself.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Never ever heard of anybody doing that at any time in my working life unless of course it's either a criminal enterprise or there is a reason that somebody doesn't want you to know their real name for some reason and I can't think of any reason why an upfront enterprise would want to use a false identity.

I don't care what political flavour you are. It's not normal to use an alter-ego at all.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1

11. I take it you don't read much?

• Like Like x 1
  12. SOP at Warrior Forums where they trade ideas and promote this rubbish software is always to use false names (alter ego's).

You wouldn't want your customers coming after you when they discovered they had purchased a lemon..

Attacking others for "hating business" is an irony that's obviously lost on on the man who started a company that ripped off other people's web content to try and generate ad revenue.

The fact that he made his way into high office of government says a lot about modern politicians' attitude to business. Unable to distinguish between genuine innovation and value-creating activities, and zero-sum speculation and spiv-like behaviour designed only to divert funds towards your own bank account at the expense of someone else's.

Well suited to be at the top of any UK political party.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

This morning LCB were replaying an interview Shapps had with Nick Ferrari a couple of years back. In that interview he firmly denied he continued with his company after becoming an MP. The available evidence suggests Shapps was less than honest with Ferrari.

Wordsmith

14. Non story from 2012 reheated pre election complete with token calls to resign.

Now if he had three kitchens and posed with his equally strange wife in that used by the domestic help that really would matter.

15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

His integrity is in question. If you tell a radio interviewer (LBC) something - in response to repeated questions - that is demonstrably untrue, that doesn't say a lot about your character.

Most MP's leave wriggle room in their public statements - "I was misinterpreted". Shapps made a series of unequivocal statements in a recorded radio interview. Evidence is now being produced that directly contradicts those statements.

Assuming the contradictory evidence stands up to examination, I would prefer not to have any MP that tells a barefaced lie in parliament.

Wordsmith