• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Grant Shapps being investigated for having burning Pants

It seems that the ambitious Mr Shapps is being investigated for telling whoppers to individuals before he came an MP (and I'm not talking about his constituents :wink: )

A company founded by Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps is to be investigated by the advertising standards watchdog after the politician posed as a multi-millionaire under a false name to sell its services.
The firm, set up by Mr Shapps before he became an MP but when he was standing as a candidate for the Tories at a general election, used the alias of ‘Michael Green’ as its front man.

Mr Shapps attended conferences bearing the name tag Michael Green, declaring he had a personal fortune of £17million and inviting potential customers to learn the secrets of his success for a fee.
The Advertising Standards Authority has now launched an investigation into HowToCorp.com over allegations that the public had been misled by Mr Shapps's use of an alias.
Probe into company set up by Tory chairman Grant Shapps over claims he 'misled public' | Mail Online

It's in other papers . .

Company founded by Grant Shapps to be investigated by Advertising Standards Agency - Telegraph

Grant Shapps: Use of alter ego was not sign of double life | Politics | The Guardian

I would imagine there would be a bigger outcry if he had tried to make money by saying "I am The Right Honourable Grant Shaps MP. Give me some money and I will help you get rich."

Probably a non story - he claims that his dealings with this company which he closed down before he became an MP have been fully disclosed and appear on his bio so call me a cynic but could this be Labour ploy to undermine the Tory part conference perhaps!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Well Mr Schapps does claim that having an alter-ego is perfectly normal business practice and is nothing for anyone to get het up about.

Seems the excrement has finally hit the fan this morning..

Shapps is a bit of a wide boy who maybe conned CMD to the chairmanship of the Tory party by pretending he was an internet guru.

Turns out he was maybe writing "scraping software" that collects articles and then "spins" them into near-gibberish. Even back in 2006 this was pathetic and was seen as a like a crappy warrior forum service - a few lines of PHP knocked together by a 15 year old. It's laughable that he valued his business in the tens of millions.

Clear attempts to manipulate google ranking which when they find them gets your sites dropped from the index quicker than a red hot brick

No wonder he hid his ID under several false names.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/grant_shapps_michael_green_how_t

Seems the Met were subject to a FOI back in 2013 asking if they were considering nicking him (probably a bit late by then as he had friends in high places.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/sep/21/grant-shapps-posed-web-guru

Guardian had an inkling not was all well back in September 2012.

And finally the knife in the back straight from the script kiddie forums themselves.

http://www.warriorforum.com/search-engine-optimization/376668-traffic-paymaster.html

In addition to above - anyone considering buying software from this lot (assuming it's still available as all their websites seem to have mysteriously disappeared) should be aware that Grant Shapps, Michael Green & Sebastian Fox are one and the same person."
Advertising standard authority in UK is now closely examing/investigating "these people" -- looks like they could be in big trouble.
Channel 4 - UK TV broadcaster - has investigated some of the "people" who have endorsed/recommended the products and can find no trace of them or their organisations.
Looking more and more like a big scam - with possible illegal actions - by the day.
As Shapps has recently been promoted to Chairman of the Conservative Party the spotlight is firmly on him and his internet activities - this spotlight will only get brighter - this story has legs and will run.
Watch this space.
Should be noted that Howtocorps posting on that forum is probably Shapps himself.

Last edited:
Well Mr Schapps does claim that having an alter-ego is perfectly normal business practice and is nothing for anyone to get het up about.
Never ever heard of anybody doing that at any time in my working life unless of course it's either a criminal enterprise or there is a reason that somebody doesn't want you to know their real name for some reason and I can't think of any reason why an upfront enterprise would want to use a false identity.

I don't care what political flavour you are. It's not normal to use an alter-ego at all.

Never ever heard of anybody doing that at any time in my working life unless of course it's either a criminal enterprise or there is a reason that somebody doesn't want you to know their real name for some reason and I can't think of any reason why an upfront enterprise would want to use a false identity.

I don't care what political flavour you are. It's not normal to use an alter-ego at all.

I take it you don't read much?

Snipped....It's not normal to use an alter-ego at all.
SOP at Warrior Forums where they trade ideas and promote this rubbish software is always to use false names (alter ego's).

You wouldn't want your customers coming after you when they discovered they had purchased a lemon..

Attacking others for "hating business" is an irony that's obviously lost on on the man who started a company that ripped off other people's web content to try and generate ad revenue.

The fact that he made his way into high office of government says a lot about modern politicians' attitude to business. Unable to distinguish between genuine innovation and value-creating activities, and zero-sum speculation and spiv-like behaviour designed only to divert funds towards your own bank account at the expense of someone else's.

Well suited to be at the top of any UK political party.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems the excrement has finally hit the fan this morning..
This morning LCB were replaying an interview Shapps had with Nick Ferrari a couple of years back. In that interview he firmly denied he continued with his company after becoming an MP. The available evidence suggests Shapps was less than honest with Ferrari.

Wordsmith

Non story from 2012 reheated pre election complete with token calls to resign.

Now if he had three kitchens and posed with his equally strange wife in that used by the domestic help that really would matter.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Non story from 2012 reheated pre election complete with token calls to resign.
His integrity is in question. If you tell a radio interviewer (LBC) something - in response to repeated questions - that is demonstrably untrue, that doesn't say a lot about your character.

Most MP's leave wriggle room in their public statements - "I was misinterpreted". Shapps made a series of unequivocal statements in a recorded radio interview. Evidence is now being produced that directly contradicts those statements.

Assuming the contradictory evidence stands up to examination, I would prefer not to have any MP that tells a barefaced lie in parliament.

Wordsmith

This morning LCB were replaying an interview Shapps had with Nick Ferrari a couple of years back. In that interview he firmly denied he continued with his company after becoming an MP. The available evidence suggests Shapps was less than honest with Ferrari.

Wordsmith
Indeed.

The man has to resign; like Caesar's Wife, he has to be seen to be scrupulously honest. And he has been caught out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31901533
Conservative sources said Mr Shapps did not regard his interest in his firm as "a second job" - as the company was in the process of being wound up at the time - and more of "a hobby on the side".
They said he had earned minimal income from the job and likened his earnings to those made by other MPs who have written books.
So which is the truth then, Michael Sebastian Grant (what are you calling yourself this week)?- millionaire entrepreneur or minimal income hobby on the side?
Can't be both, can it?

Same Page

Downing Street said the prime minister had "full confidence" in Mr Shapps.
"The prime minister thinks that Grant has done the right thing in acknowledging the mistake he has made," a No 10 spokesman said. "The right thing, where a mistake has been made, is to explain that, and that is what Grant has done."
Tory party and Downing street working on the premise most voters are thick and cannot see this for what it really is.

Criminal fraud at worst, misselling scandal just like Banks and PPI at best. Something no MP let alone Chairman of the Tory party should be mixed up in.

It will be forgotten about by tomorrow as most voters are thick and cannot see the relevance.

We truly deserve the politicians we get!!

Indeed.

The man has to resign; like Caesar's Wife, he has to be seen to be scrupulously honest. And he has been caught out.

Much as it would be excellent if lies and other misdemeanors lead to automatic resignations or expulsions from Westminster, in recent times many in that house have been proved to be liars/cheats/criminals and unless forced to in a few cases. have stayed put.
With the current make up of the political classes, I cannot see any change. :-(

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Much as it would be excellent if lies and other misdemeanors lead to automatic resignations or expulsions from Westminster, in recent times many in that house have been proved to be liars/cheats/criminals and unless forced to in a few cases. have stayed put.
If they had granted power of recall for MPs that breached parliamentary standards, and said MP's were duly dispatched into oblivion by their constituents, the remaining MPs would observe a higher standard of behaviour.

In the immediate aftermath of the expenses scandal, CMD promised power of recall as a way of cleaning up politics. As the expenses scandal faded from people's minds, the promise similarly faded from CMD's. Strange that...

Wordsmith

Latest Threads