Granfather's Medal Ribbons.

Going through a box full of my late fathers stuff and found an envelope with "Dad's Medal Ribbons" written on it so they will have been my Grandfather's, the hand writing on the slip of paper is my father's. Also interesting is a very tatty last ever copy of the Burma Star , my father served in that neck of the woods 44 to 48.
1590245675000.png

1590245952761.png

Yummy!

Do you have the medals? By God, I hope so.

A minor point: the first ribbon is erroneously named as the 'SA Africa General Service Star': there's no such thing.

What you have is the ribbon of the Africa General Service Medal:

1590248042973.png

There were several clasps awarded during the life of the medal and it would be interesting to know for which ones the old boy qualified.

If you'd care to let me know his details, I can have a look through the medal rolls for you.

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
Nice.

Are the medals gone ?

No 1 is just called Africa General Service Medal, not SA Star. Without the medal and clasp you can't tell exactly where he received the medal for. If you are able to access his medal card, this would give you the information.

There should be a small silver rosette on the 1914 Star ribbon - you can see the impression where it has been. This indicates possession of the Aug-November 1914 clasp which is indicated (as "Bar") on the handwritten note. This makes it a so-called "Mons Star", and your Grandad an Old Contemptible.

Do you know which regiment Grandad served with ?

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Great grandfather's medals. He was with the RA as an instructor on how to handle the heavy horses used to move the guns and ammunition. He had previously been a ploughman in Aberdeenshire with experience with Clydesdales and Shires. What worked with them also worked with Suffolk Punches and French Percherons. The packets are what they came in back in 1919. Still pristine as he never wore them.
image.jpeg

Great grandfather's medals. He was with the RA as an instructor on how to handle the heavy horses used to move the guns and ammunition. He had previously been a ploughman in Aberdeenshire with experience with Clydesdales and Shires. What worked with them also worked with Suffolk Punches and French Percherons. The packets are what they came in back in 1919. Still pristine as he never wore them.View attachment 475861
Interesting, as those simple paper packets very rarely survived. . . and those medals are almost 'Mint'.

Nice!

Issi

War Hero
Great grandfather's medals. He was with the RA as an instructor on how to handle the heavy horses used to move the guns and ammunition. He had previously been a ploughman in Aberdeenshire with experience with Clydesdales and Shires. What worked with them also worked with Suffolk Punches and French Percherons. The packets are what they came in back in 1919. Still pristine as he never wore them.View attachment 475861
I had exactly the same medals from my grandfather. My next door neighbour, who was a couple of years older than me, persuaded me to give them to him, when I was about 10.
S**** L** you fat tosser.

Going through a box full of my late fathers stuff and found an envelope with "Dad's Medal Ribbons" written on it so they will have been my Grandfather's, the hand writing on the slip of paper is my father's. Also interesting is a very tatty last ever copy of the Burma Star , my father served in that neck of the woods 44 to 48.
View attachment 475848
View attachment 475849
Hi
I take it you haven't got the Burma Star ribbon? As its not in the Photo, also its a bit difficult to decipher your list as you dont tell us, which ones are WW1 and which are WW2. The No 8 medal the defence medal is a Civilian Working as an Air Raid warden etc, and as such a WW@ medal. The French medal would sit at the end of the row of medals as its a foreign medal. I'm not sure if a French Medal can be added to a row of British Army Awards?
Still its nice to have the ribbons and the Medals if you have them, worth more if you can put family groups together. Unfortunately, we never had Dads (WW1) or Grandads medals (Boar War and South African stuff), i assume they were looted when the Japs interned us during the War. I assumed that he was entitled to some WW2 medals but the Medal office said that as his body was never recovered, and he died 'Missing' and thus not entitled to any WW2 medals.

Stuff I have gleaned and surmised from other bits of paper.
His marriage certificate shows him as getting married in Cape Town, at the time he was a Private in the RAMC, this was in 1910 and he was 22 years old.
Later my fathers birth certificate shows him as a Corporal still RAMC his address Orford Barracks, Warrington this was 1926.
Basic maths tells me he was 51(ish) when WW2 started so anything he earned during WW2 would have been as a civilian.
A great pity, I do not have the medals or any idea where they are, my relationship with my father was to say the least not good so any info I have is sketchy.

Yummy!

Do you have the medals? By God, I hope so.

A minor point: the first ribbon is erroneously named as the 'SA Africa General Service Star': there's no such thing.

What you have is the ribbon of the Africa General Service Medal:

View attachment 475854

There were several clasps awarded during the life of the medal and it would be interesting to know for which ones the old boy qualified.

If you'd care to let me know his details, I can have a look through the medal rolls for you.
Have PM'd you.

If he was in SA in 1910 then he may have been involved in one of the later pre-war Somaliland campaigns. It's a great group.

I'll say this. Medals are a science. I'm at the PhD level and I still get tied in bloody knots. It's what makes them so interesting.

It looks like you've got them tucked up in Princess Mary Christmas gift box. What a suitable place to store them.
Yep. I remember him polishing that box every Sunday. Underneath the mount is his WW2 home guard medal and the remains of the original ribbons, along with a 1942 303 casing.

Shot in India, finished the war in Baghdad. East Kent Regiment.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Just to let anyone interested know, @FourZeroCharlie has done some research and come up with some interesting stuff about my grandfather, using that info plus some other things I know I can put some more meat on the bones about him.

Latest Threads