Grandparents stitched up?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Squeaker, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :evil: After some basic legal advice here.

My grandparents (both in thier 80's/90's) recently decided to have a look at one of those mobility scooters for my granddad who has MS. They contacted a local supplier, and the saleman came round, and fast-talked them into a sale for £950.

They needed a lightweight ramp to get up some stairs outside their flat (which I think is completly unsuitable for a scooter anyway) and were supplied with a piece of wood which my nan had trouble lifting. My grandad used it once, and found he couldn't control it very well, and decided they couldn't use it.

The saleman took it back after they'd owned it for 4 days, and said they'll get £600 back, but only after he's re-sold it. Since then they've heard nothing, so they've asked me to chase it up (wish they'd bloody asked me in the first place)

Isn't there some statuatory rights that give them a full refund within 30 days or something? I think they've been well and truly stitched up here., but I want a few facts at my disposal before I ring or visit this spiv that made the sale in the first place.

Any and all advice welcome, and would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Not legal advice but why not kick his teeth out of his head when you find him?

3. Consumer Protection(Cancellation of Contracts Concluded Away from
    Business Premises) Regulations 1987 (amended 1998)
    These Regulations give consumers the right to cancel if they have bought
    goods or services costing over £35 as the result of a visit from a salesperson
    which they did not ask for. Consumers have seven days to change their mind
    and cancel the contract and the salesperson must give the consumer written
    details of their cancellation rights and a cancellation form at the time of the
    agreement. The Regulations also apply to visits that the householder agreed
    to as the result of an unsolicited telephone call or earlier visit from the trader.

They had 7 days to cancel without charge
    EDIT, jusr seen that they contacted the salemen so the above may not apply

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Invite him around to your place to show you a chair . . . . . . .

5. That's a seriously good idea. Get them to come round to give you a quote on a scooter.

FFS don't end up buying one though!

6. Thanks for the advice guys (and devil's advice is high on the list, but want to try more legally acceptable stuff first).

vandyke, what you noticed is the problem, they approached him, so it's not going to be covered under laws governing door to door or unsolicted sales.

Can I argue they were wrongfully sold it? poorly advised?