ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Grandfathers Medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Jul 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Hiya all,

    Trying to get an insight into my Grandfathers war (he died about 7 years ago having never spoken about it), I am doing well having his war diary (written in welsh so having trouble translating currently) as well as the forms for his records and his time as a POW.

    Talking to my grandmother, she mentioned that he never applied for his medals, i believe there is a contact you can write to to ask about these, anyone know an address? Also will i get a full original set of medals with citation as if he had recieved them after the war or will they be copies/repros? I don't mind which to be honest just interested. I don't think he got anything fancy (though the family rumour mentions some French medal for his services in North Africa, but think that is a bit far fetched myself).


  2. write to the medal office with his name rank number and unit if you know it they will write back and tell you on what date the medals were issued and to whom they were sent if they were never issued they should tell you his entitelment and then there will be a bit of a wait for the gongs to turn up they will come with most of the paper work that would have been issued at the time but there are no citations as such unless he was awarded a gallentry medal they will be new medals but official issues not repros or copies apoligies for grammer and spelling mistakes and i cant remeber the address for the medal office of the top of me head
  3. oh forgot to claim the medals you need to be next of kin or have the permission of the next of kin get your nan to sign the letter should do it
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Thanks for the info Balldrick, i'll try and hunt down the address of the place you mentioned, A signature from Grandma isn't a problem.


  5. SR, Its not impossible I managed to obtain a copy of a relatives WW2 service papers it took ages, various forms, next of kin etc,etc. Keep at it its worth the wait!!!!!!!
  6. Try this site as a starting point:

    Contact the Ministry of Defence Medal Office at the following address:

    Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency
    Building 250
    RAF Innsworth
    GL3 1HW

    Fax: 0141 224 3586
    Free Phone: 0800 085 3600
    Overseas Civ: +44 (0) 141 224 3600

    Service Records which include Medal entitlment can also be obtained:

    With any request insure you give as much detail as possible.

    i.e. Name,Rank, Number - Next of Kin details. Proof of identity/death and/or relationship.

    Note - Only the entitled person or recognised next of kin can apply for details.