Granddad's ties collection: Parachuting teddybear

Kurty

Swinger
Morning, all!
I am asking on behalf of a friend who is trying to find out more about his granddad's obscure tie collection. Apparently he was in the SAS in the war and has a few bars on medals, but what I am asking about is the maroon tie he has with several parachuting teddy bears on it. I said i thought it was something I might have seen on Antiques Roadshow on telly and thought it might have something to do with parachuting into enemy territory and being captured. I'm not sure.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Ta.
I'll try and get a pic. He has others, too which I might ask him to ping me over.

QRK2

LE

s-l300.jpg

Chef

LE
OT The landlord of a local pub collected ties and had hundreds of them. Unfortunately when he died there were still hundreds uncatalogued I believe the regulars could ID a few of them but most went unrecognised.

G4Star

On ROPS
On ROPs
You can build a great collection up on ebay & various online medal sellers it seems these days.
Obviously you do not put your life at risk, but get all the glory from fellow walts when you big it up in the pub.

Kurty

Swinger
@Kurty describes the colour as being maroon. I've only ever known the 'Edward Bear' colour to be a darkish green, my first course being with the students in 1968.

The SF Club tie has teddy bears under parachutes, but the colour is a dark navy blue.
Hang on. I got photos. It probably is blue. Or green....and there you go. It's green. Anyone have any ideas on the other ties?

Attachments

• received_1557774951238766.jpeg
    received_1557774951238766.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 66
  • received_252642580223100.jpeg
    received_252642580223100.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 64
  • received_473049847410554.jpeg
    received_473049847410554.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 63
  • received_1233854917115840.jpeg
    received_1233854917115840.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 64

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Kurty

Swinger
You can build a great collection up on ebay & various online medal sellers it seems these days.
Obviously you do not put your life at risk, but get all the glory from fellow walts when you big it up in the pub.
Sorry, no walts here. Look elsewhere.

HE117

LE
The Edward Bear Club tie in the 70s was blue with the "lightbulb" parachute symbol on it. (.. the parachute badge without the wings) which was the qual badge you were allowed to wear on your No2s..

I did some repairs on Edward Bear's parachute in 72 in the rigging room at Nethers as it had got ripped.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hang on. I got photos. It probably is blue. Or green....and there you go. It's green. Anyone have any ideas on the other ties?

I have one that is very similar to the last, standard issue Sandhurst tie. May have changed over the years. But it is a very generic pattern. I've also seen the first one around a lot in recent years, Brigade of Guards would make sense. Also have no idea about flamingos.

The blue/lightblue/green one looks like an RAF tie. Lots of squadrons and older insignia had a lion with a crown (Royal) with wings (Air Force) and it has the dark + light blue combination colours.

The Edward Bear Club tie in the 70s was blue with the "lightbulb" parachute symbol on it. (.. the parachute badge without the wings) which was the qual badge you were allowed to wear on your No2s..
Hmmnnn.......... that's news to me. I was at the school locale ( Abingdon & Pitts Road )until 1970 when I joined the nascent JATE for the HALO trials. I've never seen a blue 'Edward Bear' tie not to say that one doesn't exist as things evolved.

The Edward Bear jump course was for Sandhurst students and DS. It' was four jumps only - 2x balloon and 2x aircraft ( usually an Andover if available, as 46 Sqn were based at RAF Abingdon. The pilots enjoyed a re-role from their UK airfield technical tasks) This airframe was single door and a textbook student vehicle.

There was no 'Lightbulb' badge issued to any of these students similar to no badge issued to the Cranwell cadets, undertaking pilot training. The latter undertook the same two week, 4 x jumps course syllabus, Prince Charles being one of these students.

The 'Lightbulb' badge has already been discussed in other forums.

QRK2

LE

I did some repairs on Edward Bear's parachute in 72 in the rigging room at Nethers as it had got ripped.

That sounds more like the APA tie, albeit that has the army crossed swords and crown as well as the lightbulb.

Latest Threads