Grandads WW2 medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by LostBoss, Nov 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking into my Mum's Dad's medals.

He served throughout with the 8th Army, was at Dunkirk, the desert and italy.

I have his medal bar and have identified The Italy Star, Africa Star and 39-45 Star.

There's a ribbon I can't identify (and can't find on the MOD web site) dark green with thin gold edging - looks like it might have had a rosette on it at some point....

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.

2. I've just ordered and recieved my grandads medals from Burton wood...

He was more than helpful and cleared up any enquiries I had regarding his gongs... I'll dig out the address and phone number and PM you with it when I can justify helping you :D
  3. Post an image and I am sure that someone will be able to help.
  4. ? Efficiency Medal/Decoration the rosette indicates a clasp.He must have been in the TA
  5. ? Efficiency Medal/Decoration the rosette indicates a clasp.He must have been in the TA
  6. Got it - he was indeed territorial - hence the early doors mobilisation and how he ended up at Dunkirk.

It's the efficiency medal

Territorial Efficiency Medal

7. His Africa Star might have had the bar "8th Army" - there were three possible bars denoted on the ribbons as "1", "8" or a rosette. He may not have had any bar if he didn't meet the qualifying dates criteria.
  8. 8th.Army ribbon. (NOT MINE!)

Attached Files:

• 8th..jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
  9. My grandads africa star had a bar accros it '1st Army'

10. His Africa Star does have the 8th Army bar on it - tres cool.

There's no war medal though... Is this a catch all medal that he would have had? Does this mean I'm missing a set of ribbons?
  11. Yes, if he has those there should be the '28 Day wonder' the War Medal.
    Qualification - Served 28 days between Sep.3rd. 1938 and Sep.2nd.1945.
    The last one on the doh_ nut string.