Grandads WW2 medals

I'm looking into my Mum's Dad's medals.

He served throughout with the 8th Army, was at Dunkirk, the desert and italy.

I have his medal bar and have identified The Italy Star, Africa Star and 39-45 Star.

There's a ribbon I can't identify (and can't find on the MOD web site) dark green with thin gold edging - looks like it might have had a rosette on it at some point....

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.

LB

I've just ordered and recieved my grandads medals from Burton wood...

He was more than helpful and cleared up any enquiries I had regarding his gongs... I'll dig out the address and phone number and PM you with it when I can justify helping you :D

Got it - he was indeed territorial - hence the early doors mobilisation and how he ended up at Dunkirk.

It's the efficiency medal

Territorial Efficiency Medal

The Efficiency Medal was a medal of Britain and the Commonwealth awarded for long service in the Territorial Army of the UK, the Indian Volunteer Forces and Colonial Auxiliary Forces. This award superseded the awards to ranks throughout the volunteer forces of Britain and the Commonwealth. The criteria were for a minimum of 12 years service in the Territorial Army with war service and West African peacetime service counting double

LostBoss said:
I'm looking into my Mum's Dad's medals.

He served throughout with the 8th Army, was at Dunkirk, the desert and italy.

I have his medal bar and have identified The Italy Star, Africa Star and 39-45 Star.

There's a ribbon I can't identify (and can't find on the MOD web site) dark green with thin gold edging - looks like it might have had a rosette on it at some point....

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.

LB
His Africa Star might have had the bar "8th Army" - there were three possible bars denoted on the ribbons as "1", "8" or a rosette. He may not have had any bar if he didn't meet the qualifying dates criteria.

My grandads africa star had a bar accros it '1st Army'

His Africa Star does have the 8th Army bar on it - tres cool.

There's no war medal though... Is this a catch all medal that he would have had? Does this mean I'm missing a set of ribbons?

Yes, if he has those there should be the '28 Day wonder' the War Medal.
Qualification - Served 28 days between Sep.3rd. 1938 and Sep.2nd.1945.
The last one on the doh_ nut string.