Grandads Medals

My Grandad died a few weeks back. He had been in the Army a long time ago, joining up as a private before the second world war and later being commissioned an officer. He left our family his medals, and I noticed that he had both an MC and an MM. Is this a filing mistake? I thought that if you won an MM but did something brave on an LE commission they just gave you a bar?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up

Fezzick said:
My Grandad died a few weeks back. He had been in the Army a long time ago, joining up as a private before the second world war and later being commissioned an officer. He left our family his medals, and I noticed that he had both an MC and an MM. Is this a filing mistake? I thought that if you won an MM but did something brave on an LE commission they just gave you a bar?

It is possible to receive the MM as a soldier and then later receive the MC as an officer.

Fezzick said:

Nope. MM was awarded to NCOs and Privates for bravery in the field: the MC was awarded to Officers and WO1s for bravery in the field.

You have been bequeathed an important piece of military history: guard it well.

barbs said:
Fezzick said:

It is possible to receive the MM as a soldier and then later receive the MC as an officer.

Seriously brave man to get both, one at each rank status then.

Baseplate said:
Fezzick said:

Nope. MM was awarded to NCOs and Privates for bravery in the field: the MC was awarded to Officers and WO1s for bravery in the field.

You have been bequeathed an important piece of military history: guard it well.

And the fact your Grandad was such a top bloke, guard it very well.

Fezzick

PM me with his full name and the EXACT details of what is stamped around the rim of each medal and I will dig out as much info as I can for you.

Ventress

LE
sandy_boots said:
Fezzick

PM me with his full name and the EXACT details of what is stamped around the rim of each medal and I will dig out as much info as I can for you.
I look forward to the update.