Grandads Medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Fezzick, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandad died a few weeks back. He had been in the Army a long time ago, joining up as a private before the second world war and later being commissioned an officer. He left our family his medals, and I noticed that he had both an MC and an MM. Is this a filing mistake? I thought that if you won an MM but did something brave on an LE commission they just gave you a bar?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up
  2. It is possible to receive the MM as a soldier and then later receive the MC as an officer.
  3. Nope. MM was awarded to NCOs and Privates for bravery in the field: the MC was awarded to Officers and WO1s for bravery in the field.

You have been bequeathed an important piece of military history: guard it well.

4. Seriously brave man to get both, one at each rank status then.

And the fact your Grandad was such a top bloke, guard it very well.
  5. Fezzick

PM me with his full name and the EXACT details of what is stamped around the rim of each medal and I will dig out as much info as I can for you.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I look forward to the update.
  7. I recall a WO2 in the KOSB who was MC MM., from WW2. WOs 1 and 2 were eligible for the MC.
  8. Be nice to see the details that are unearthed for this to see if there are some interesting stories to go with the medals :)