Grand National Losers?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ruddles, Apr 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it every year amongst those who make a bet on the Grand National there are always more winners than losers. Seems everybody's won, I think I should have made a bet, its a guaranteed return. I just cannot understand how the bookies are still in business.

Clearly someone must have lost, it's just no-one ever wants to own up to it do they!

So come on, who out there ended up picking a horse that turned out to have downs, and how much did you lose?
  2. £5 on Character Building to win 20-1
    £5 on Ballyholland each way 33-1

... I lost £15 :'(

7th place and no idea where the other one was
  3. I lost, not one of my horses finished, only good thing is that Ronny, my booky is about to cut his wrists
  4. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I came out evens. I didn't bet.
  5. I bet on Creosote. It was good on the fences....
  6. Lost £4 on Character Building.
  7. Lost £4.
  8. lost £12 in total. That was for me, mrs and little'un. I was up £12 from earlier in the day after putting £2 on Ross County to score first against Celtic in Scottish Cup Semi-final. All in all finished evens.
  9. I had that evil little grey fucker that refused to bloody start!! Arrse!!! :x
  10. i lost a fiver
  11. Well thats the last time I put £5 on Leona Lewis to win the National.

Also did you see that lucky bastard who put down £5000 on the winner and won £85000... :twisted:
  12. Where is the other fiver gone then, as I make that a tenner?

Anyway, my horse was second and I went on the nose rather than each way....bugger
  13. My bold shows where the other fiver went. £5 each way is a tenner.
  14. £5 e/w on ballyholland = £10 stake to win, come 2nd, 3rd or 4th
    £5 win on character = £5 stake to win

e/w you pay for place and win
  15. A lot of people went for Character Building! I only lost £2 to a sweep stake at work on State of Play and Beat the Boys. Out of choice I wanted Big Fella Thanks.