Grand Jury - whats all that about?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Bound_Apprentice, Nov 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been watching "The Wire" recently and reading a couple of excellent books by David Simon, one of the shows writers. Throughout there has been a number of referrals to Arraingment and Grand Juries. I am not a complete novice to the British Judicial system so think I am right in saying that an Arraingment is similar to Commital, but what exactly is a Grand Jury and does it have a comparable element in British Law?

Don't bust a gut - just curious!

B_A

2. By the way "The Wire" is excellent! If you haven't seen it your missing out!

3. Not a lawyer but, as far as I am aware, no. The equivalent step in the UK (deciding whether there is a case to answer and sufficient prima-facie evidence) is done behind closed doors by the CPS / Fiscal.

I suppose the closest equivalent is a judicial review?

4. Basically in common law (which is law which has been decided by the Courts ) the GJ is essentially a type of jury which will consider whether there is enough evidence to take a matter to trail. You wont really find this outside of the U.S. (typical) ,the English Courts did away with this some 70-80 odd years ago, our committal procedure is the equivilent of the GJ.

An arraignment is where the rap sheet/allegations are read to the defendant.

didn't bust me gut and you have your answer.... :D

5. The Grand Jury usually sits at Southwark.

If it's a kiddie fiddler, it's guilty. If it's the Old Bill, they are all liars. If it's a burglar or robber, the benefit of doubt.

See you in the rub 'a' dub laters my Old China.

6. In Scottish law, they have First Diets (Sheriff Court), Preliminary Diets (High Court), and Intermediate Diets. These are somewhat similar to the Septics' arraignments. The main purpose of these is to ensure that the Trial Diet can proceed as set, and also gives the accused the opportunity to enter an early plea of 'Guilty' if they so desire.