Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Granby Medals valuation

TPR_C_Hunt

Old-Salt
Does anyone know the going rate for the set of 3? A firm that advertises on this site gave a valuation of 200-250 quid for the set, is this a fair price or are they taking the piss? I don't want to go into the ethics of a bloke selling his medals as the reason seems kosher to me.

The set is
Gulf Medal and bar (unmounted)
Saudi medal and cert
Kuwaiti medal and cert

TPR_C_Hunt said:
Does anyone know the going rate for the set of 3? A firm that advertises on this site gave a valuation of 200-250 quid for the set, is this a fair price or are they taking the urine? I don't want to go into the ethics of a bloke selling his medals as the reason seems kosher to me.

The set is
Gulf Medal and bar (unmounted)
Saudi medal and cert
Kuwaiti medal and cert

The way I would check is to scrutinise ebay and the other auction sites.

Litotes

Have you thought of seeing if a similar set is on EBay? Bit of a naff suggestion but you'd be surprised what is on there!

oc14

Swinger
Value depends on a number of factors. Generally speaking Granby Medals to RAC and Infantry units have a higher market value than those to Corps, similarly, those named to Officers have a higher market value than those to ORs. Medals year book for 2005 gives the following values

With Jan/Feb clasp
RAC/Infantry/RN and RAF £250-£350
Corps and RA ££200-£250
Civilians ££200-£250

Saudi Medal for the Livbertaion of Kuwait £20

Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (4th grade) £10-£15

Hope that helps

The Int Corp forum was running a thread a few days back. Telic 2 medal on ebay for £200 and a REME set of 7 went for £1860. OC14 seems to have a good grasp of it. Nice to see as a crab mine is worth more than a gunners thanks for that OC.

Put it this way, if they are willing to pay £200 - £250 then they are looking to sell at a higher price and 100% markup by dealers is not unheard off!

Medals sell better with provonance, so include a photocopy of your discharge papers as well and try e-Bay at a starting price of £300 and see what happens. Bearing in mind that you have the sellers premium to pay on completion.

Latest Threads