Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else seen this? Not the ending I was expecting, but not a bad film.
  2. seen it last year and thought it was very good
  3. Proves the adage, "Old actors never die, but they should." Or at the very least, stop starring in films.

4. Kevin before you wish the passing away of Clint please reflect on the sheer beauty of Flags of our Fathers/ Letter from Iwo Jima.

For all his films over the years, his acting and directing are good entertainment. I have this film on disc and will be watching it this weekend. No spoilers please
  5. I don't wish death to the old man, just wish he would, along with Harrison Ford and Al Pacino, stop starring in (not directing) films.
  6. At least when he does fade away and we have a Clint Eastwood season, there will be some good films on TV for a while
  7. Not a bad old film and I do believe Sky are doing a Clint week starting next week :D
  8. I thought it was rather good.

had worrying parallels with "Goodnight Mr Tom!"

apart from his nihilism and lack of respect ofr anyone but his dog (spoiler not included)
  9. I hope Clint never joins ARRSE; he would cry himself to sleep after finding out you were not a fan... :roll:
  10. Yes, he would need a box of Kleenex, no doubt. :roll:
    But much of his work, such as "Fistful of Dollars", "High Plains Drifter", "Pale Rider", and "Unforgiven", is excellent.
  11. Hahahahah! Whole street-gangs full of Mongs! Whoda thunkit? Or were they Hmongs? Doesnt matter, great flick. Mrs FV mk3 thought it a Dickensian glimpse into my future.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

oh no, no not at all. sheer beauty would be shades of grey right? too much flashing back and too much and too too long..

like million dollar baby however.
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Saw it at weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Someone drew a parallel with 'Good night Mr Tom', but I would argue that it is much more remeniscent of 'The Shootist', John Wayne's last film.
    At his age, 78, Clint Eastwood may be considered by some, like the Kevin Barry's of this world, to be too old to act. Who would he suggest? Colin Farrel in Make -up? Steven Rhea with a wrinkle mask? The story is about an old man, one who fought in Korea ( For the info of The IRA lovers, that was in the 1050's, ) and that would make an 18 year old now around 76, hence being played by a 78 year old actor.
  14. He'd be prime to fight at the battle of Hastings a few years later.

Clint was pants in Heartbreak Ridge and should have been his last, but there was a degree of clint coolness when he played the Presidents bodyguard.

None of you would dare call Inspector Harold Callaghan of the San Fransisco PD to his face. Not unless you'd want a large calibred and cumbersome revolver placed neatly in your bottom.
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Did I say 1050? Well, that was the time, ten to eleven, and I should have included the date as 1950's.
    Fat fingers are the problem.