Graduating whilst at Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by etpoide, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Quick question I hope someone can help me out with.

    I will be on the Sept 2013 CC at RMAS but my university holds its graduation ceremony on the 20th or 21st Sept. Would it be possible for me to leave for a day so early on into the CC? Or would I need to wait until term finishes?

    Many thanks for any advice.
     
  2. You can write a letter to the old college commander when you get there, but I would not hold out much hope. As a rule the only thing you can get out for in the first five weeks is a funeral, one chap I know missed his sisters wedding.
     
  3. Would that affect pay whilst at RMAS then, as technically I wouldnt be a graduate.
     
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Unless things have changed since I was there then no...

    On the pay side, assuming you pass the course you will graduate, therefore you start the term as a graduate.

    S_R
     
  5. Like phys! And Assault Courses and Drill and more phys!

    You'll have a far better day than your peers in their mortarboards and gowns. And it will be longer too so you'll be even more productive.

    Let your Colour and PC know you are 'graduating' that day. They may sort you out a little treat.
     
  6. likely (but with better technique... probably).
     
  7. Could even look like this...
     
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    The answer used to be no.
     
  9. I had the day off to attend my graduation. As somebody previously suggested, I had to write to the college commander. Whether I actually turned up for the ceremony, or spent the day in the boozer is a different matter...
     
  10. Graduation Day is really for Mums and Dads. But mainly Mums.

    If you don't get time off for it, here's a thought: Which University you at, i.e. does it host the Graduation Ceremony on its own campus, or does it take place elsewhere? If the former, then it'll likely have its own photographic unit, which then in turn will likely have a few bits and pieces of the ridiculous garments and headgear germane to the proceedings. If you contact them they'll tog you up, and help you out with a set of photos for your Mum, provided you turn up there when you get chance. For a small consideration, obviously. If the latter, you could contact the host establishment in the same regard. It'd be nice for your Mum.

    Apart from the photos there's really **** all else to Graduation Day anyhow.
     
  11. What do you mean? There's spending hours sitting in uncomfortable chairs whilst the Vice Chancellor makes a speech about how great he is, and then there's the experience of being charged upwards of £100 for a few dried-out sandwiches, some bake-off sausage rolls and a bottle of warm and rancid sparkling wine.

    You then promise to stay in touch with all your university friends, both the 75% you'll never hear from again, and the other 25% who you'll grow apart from over the coming ten years or so, as you realise you had nothing in common apart from youth and thirst.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  12. If you want to get the time off, write to your College Commander. As you're looking for time so early on in the course, I would be this before arrival - raise it with the officer taking your PCCBC and they should be able to steer you.

    I had time off for a graduation in week 7, but that's out of the 1-5 horror show. I know people who couldn't go to a funeral as they were on ex in the first 5 weeks.

    The other option is moving the graduation to another date. I know at my old gaff they do two graduations a year, and it is possible to defer. Time off out of 1-5 is much more likely than during. That said, I wouldn't think you'd get time off for a graduation during exercise.
     
  13. Weeks 1 - 5?

    His grad is on the 20 or 21 sept... he'll have barely unpacked and been issued his kit!

    More likely days events...