Graduated Commitment Model Redux (FOI)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear msr,

Thank you for your enquiry under the Freedom of information Act in which you ask for “A copy of the Graduated Commitment Model for the Territorial Army.” Unfortunately the work to complete the Graduated Commitment Model is still underway and the model is not yet mature. For these reasons I cannot release the information as it is exempt under Section 22 of the Freedom of Information Act:

“Information is exempt if –
    (a) the information is held by the public authority with a view to its publication, by the authority or any other person, at some future date (whether determined or not).”

I am sorry that I have not been able to be more helpful on this issue.

2. I love the smell of flannel in the morning.

3. It certainly isn't mature. But all COs have a copy of the proposal. And it's only RESTRICTED..........

4. msr

msr LE

Nice one :) I'll ask for a copy of the proposal...

5. LAND FORCES STANDING ORDER INSTRUCTION (SOI) NUMBER 4
    TA ACTIVITY PLANNING – VERSION 2.1

mentions the magical words, although it says "a" not "the"

6. ive seen these words banded about on here but what does it mean in laymans terms?

7. Cynical on{

It means "We are only interested in training kids who want to do one tour then leave. This is because it is cheaper than training Regular recruits. The thought is that the TA won't get paid when not directly preparing for Ops or stay long enough when on Ops to get a pension ( two years service). This makes them cheaper to run than Regulars, who expect to get paid to sit in Barracks costing money between Tours.
    Anyone who wishes to make something a bit more long-term of this will have every last ounce of goodwill sucked out of them on 27 MTDs per year - unless they volunteer to destroy their civvy career and marriage by spending one year in five on Ops. Note this is about the same level of Operational deployment that the average Regular does now."

Cynical off} ....error 1157. system unable to revert to positive. remaining cynical.....

8. msr

msr LE

Bummer:

Unfortunately the same rule applies as before and I cannot release the proposal as requested.

For you to apply for a document under FOI it must be in the public domain and as the document has only be circulated as a proposal, in house, this cannot yet be released.

My apologies for this, but this is to stop any incorrect version being out in the public domain before it is officially published.

9. MSR

Are you asking for it in your capacity as a civilian or as a soldier? If as a civilian, surely it is not yet fit for you to read (as not yet ratified) and if as a soldier, presumably you will have access to it when your Chain of Command lets you have it?

Bit confused as to why you are using your rights as a private citizen to try and usurp the chain of command? better by far to wait unitl your CoC decises to let you have it - if he proposal is published now it might serve only to confuse and alarm as the powers that be have not yet had their go at it?

10. so what would happen to regts then? would you just be in the, say RAC and report to bovington, or say infantry and just tip up to catterick. And all the tac's would close down and we would be all national TA type bods

11. You do know that it's pillocks like you asking for crap under the FOI act that requires hundreds of Civil Servants to be employed thereby reducing the defence budget and taking MTDs away from the TA!

P.S. Thanks - I need my job :)

12. You've got it in one.

and therefore, no TA careers, no FTRS, no staff officers, etc...

'One Army' because there will only be one Army. Full time Regulars and part time regulars.

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Mr T has it pretty much spot-on.

Problem is, of course, that the Army is increasingly in super-garrisons where the populace is not, and the TA is in conurbations where the people are. Discuss...

Meanwhile, Grats to Maj Gen Lalor, Head of All Reserves, on hid CBE in the New Year's Honours List..................... :?

14. msr

msr LE

Freudian slip?

15. They don't care - the 'firm base' is a smoke and mirrors effort - they are budget driven and there is no budget. CE and all that will be articulated to ECAB as being a huge success and they are so far from the coal face, they'll believe it - Christ, they are the ones that agreed to the GCM without a stitch of knowledge or interest as to the implications - unless Lalor told them (doubtful).

The TA as is will be sacrificed accordingly.

As for Lalor, well, bless him, he did such a great job. Reserves Review? more like a death warrant.