Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Mo87, May 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, trying to find some info on an issue that I'm sure isn't as unique as I think.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at university (in Scotland), and am set to do the full 4 years required north of the border to achieve an honors degree. I've sat my briefing (Feb this year, with a cat 1) and I'm currently waiting for a date for my main board.

My question is this...At my briefing I told the Officer I would be finishing uni in June '10. If I was to start my final year (september this year) and at somepoint throughout the year decide it wasn't for me and leave would it affect my entry?

I will hopefully achieve my BSc this summer and will be deemed as a graduate, however I realise some may hold it against me that i left before achieving honors status - Would I been seen of as a quitter?

4th year is something I had origionally decided not to do, as enjoyment of my course is yet to be experienced. I have only decided to try it to answer the question of "what if?" Appologies for the somewhat lengthy but vague post. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. It rather depends on whether or not you can stick the last year. It would probably be best to finish what you started.

One suggestion though would be to join the TA, as a TAPO; do your board through them. A pass at the board is the same for both TA and regs. This would give you the option to hang the course and go into Sanders earlier, or do some TA work as an officer and decide if army life is all that it's cracked up to be.

Good luck either way.
  3. rasselas

rasselas Swinger Book Reviewer

The only difference it may make is to your seniority as a graduate officer. I'm an arts graduate so things may be different for BSc and the like but my understanding of the difference between the Scots and English systems was that after three years in Scotland you received your Bachelors degree equivalent and that your 'Honours' was looked upon by the Army (and indeed many other employers) similarly to a a four year Masters degree from and English uni'.

The issue came up when I was at Sandhurst with a mate who had done the full four at Edinburgh and myself who had an MA but only a cheeky Oxford one which meant I hadn't done four years. As far as the Army seemed to be concerned the length of time spent doing degree was the key factor (not wanting to get embroiled in a debate about whether my three years was worth more or less than his four, more obviously!) so I was counted as a normal BA (Hons) graduate with three years seniority and he was counted as an MA with three years and sixth months.

Hardly an important distinction and no-one at Sandhurst really gave a toss about what degrees people had or hadn't done so I shouldn't worry too much about it.
  4. Thanks for the replies. The advice is similar to what I've been told already by my PSI and OC, both say that I will still be seen as a graduate, and it should not affect my career.

Of course, my company commander then follows this with "Besides, your not posh enough to be any good at senior ranks!". You've got to love the ranker mentality!
  5. my mates cousin left uni a year early and went into RMAS. he didnt regret it at first, but he was slightly nonplussed when all the guys he passed out with were all wearing their 3 pips, while he had only recently got his second. he was also paid less, so unless uni is that bad id say hang in there for one more year
  6. also, it just occurs that if you have a main board pass i think you're elligible to go for a working week or so with regiments and corps which puts you in a better position for choosing where you end up. but double check that with someone, because thats just something a bloke in a pub told me.
  7. I thought the reason you did an extra year north of the border was to make up the difference in schooling - the fact that you take your A-level equivalents earlier?

I did a 4 year degree in England and was given more seniority (another 6 months), but if you get a BSc after 3 and are a graduate and not seen as failing your degree by skipping the last year then it is up to you whether you stick it out or not.

My Hons classification came as a result of the grades I achieved through uni - my 4 years was as a result of a year in industry. You can graduate here with an honourless degree, but it is still a degree and gets you 3 years seniority.
  8. Yes that is true. That is why anyone with good enough A levels or Advanced Highers is given a free pass to start in 2nd year. Of course, many don't take that and prefer to have a very easy laid back 1st year.
  9. The problem with a Scottish Ordinary is that the English don't understand it, so for civilian jobs when you leave you might wish you'd done the extra year. As you know, in Scotland you are admitted to Ordinary and Honours entry is (often notionally) competitive. In Arts the pass degree had horrendous rules about a numerical subject, moral philosophy and a language so people did Honours to escape that. In Engineering the Ordinary was a total b*stard of a degree and loads of people took the four years to get that, ver mind Hons. My pal did an Ordinary in Engineering before joining the RE, and missed Honours entry by failing a feckin half-ordinary in Economics - they wouldn't even let himm carry it. These days Honours entry is pretty much seen as a right, and the unis bend over backwards to make places available.

So, bluntly, are you bothered about competing for civilian jobs at some point in the future when just about everybody has an upper second?