GPS

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent handheld GPS?

I'm not looking to pay too much over £100, but would be good to be able to use it in the car for the drives home.

UlsterFry said:
Does not square with....

I'm not looking to pay too much over £100, but would be good to be able to use it in the car for the drives home.
Unless you are looking for second hand.

chimera

LE
Ordnance Survey maps -

v handy in Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan......

not

MGRS or Lat/Lon from GPS can be helpful sometimes when you haven't got 'church with spire' within easy view.

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
I got a Gamin etrex from Field and Trek last year for about £120, it is good, and the price has probably dropped. Its reception is very good once it's locked on to its satalites but if your under any kind of cover or near building getting the lock is a bit of a nause.

chimera said:
Ordnance Survey maps -

v handy in Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan......

not

MGRS or Lat/Lon from GPS can be helpful sometimes when you haven't got 'church with spire' within easy view.
Oooo so Un PC - Its now POWSMOD - place of worship with spire, minaret or dome.

ie a bloody church.

Not by Ordnance Survey!!!

Not by Ordnance Survey!!!
:roll:

A map is a map is a map - Ordnance Survey or not - if you can read one you can read them all. The green bits are generally trees, the blue bits water etc.

Look back at the SKJOLD's original post and see the point. Cotswold camping doesn't sell too many maps of Kabul. And even if they did they wouldn't have a MGRS overlay.

chimera said:
Look back at the SKJOLD's original post and see the point. Cotswold camping doesn't sell too many maps of Kabul. And even if they did they wouldn't have a MGRS overlay.
But the issue ones ( available from RSMS Hermitage ) wil have.

UlsterFry said:

To get back on track Ulster Fry after all of these classroom 'map and compass' experts have had their say....the Garmin GP12 is still the best model around for military and demanding exped use, as it is rugged, and has 4 LR6 batteries (most hand helds only have 2). It is easy to change between the grid systems that you will find on UK and US issue military mapping, and Lat/Lon for foreign maps that are often not gridded. The Magellan range is also worth a look, but avoid the bottom of range Xtrac - it is not easy to use in the dark, and is aimed at the outdoor leisure market.

chimera said:
....the Garmin GP12 is still the best model around for military and demanding exped use, as it is rugged, and has 4 LR6 batteries (most hand helds only have 2). It is easy to change between the grid systems that you will find on UK and US issue military mapping, and Lat/Lon for foreign maps that are often not gridded.
I've had one of these for a couple of years and found it very useful in a number of places. It eats batteries - a set will last about 12 hours if you leave it switched on.

It is optimised for vehicle nav using waypoints: it has a good track keeping facility and would be ideal for desert or ocean use, or even basic aviation use. It doesn't have a proper map display, unlike some more modern (and more expensive) models. For surface nav in close country, its best use is as a fixing aid, and for finding your way back to a starting point if you become temporarily unsure of your position.

Like all electronic aids to navigation, it should be backed up with more basic techniques, such as map and compass. If you mix the information from two different systems you will probably get something that is better than either alone - but I wouild say that combining GPS with map and compass requires greater skill than using either system by itself.

Yes, the Garmin 12 XL is a good bit of kit and well-proven. Mine is now 7 years old but the software has been improved along the way.

As already pointed out, GPS has limitations in dark woods etc (arguably the time you most need it!) but for me the main disadvantage is that there is no real compass/direction function except when you are on the move.

OK, my fault for dragging of topic in the first place, my apoligies ulster fry.
I doubt your home is in Bosnia, and Ill have a wild guess you dont drive through Afghanistan to get there(all though it may seem like it at times). :D

Im no expert when it comes to GPS, much prefer the map and compass. for some advice try,

http://gpsinformation.net/ or
http://www.gps.gov.uk/

for purchasing try this
http://www.gps4less.co.uk/ or ebay

And just incase you feel like it
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
http://www.silvacompass.com/

SK

SKJOLD for an ex - stacker you have a canny sense of humour. Still you served in 36 so I guess you picked it up there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bernoulli Classified Ads 2
T Weapons, Equipment & Rations 14
K Aviation 35