GPS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by UlsterFry, Oct 20, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent handheld GPS?

I'm not looking to pay too much over £100, but would be good to be able to use it in the car for the drives home.

2. Does not square with....

Unless you are looking for second hand.

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Ordnance Survey maps -

v handy in Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan......

not

MGRS or Lat/Lon from GPS can be helpful sometimes when you haven't got 'church with spire' within easy view.

4. Most people i know are using a PDA/GPS combination in the car these days

I bought mine from these people

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/

Theres lots of handheld stuff on there aswell, wouldnt really recommend a handheld for a car though.

5. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I got a Gamin etrex from Field and Trek last year for about £120, it is good, and the price has probably dropped. Its reception is very good once it's locked on to its satalites but if your under any kind of cover or near building getting the lock is a bit of a nause.

6. Oooo so Un PC - Its now POWSMOD - place of worship with spire, minaret or dome.

ie a bloody church.

7. Check out the Garmin Geko..

Basic Geko at £74 quid new from GPS warehouse.. www.gpsw.co.uk

after that think of a number :)

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not by Ordnance Survey!!!

10. :roll:

A map is a map is a map - Ordnance Survey or not - if you can read one you can read them all. The green bits are generally trees, the blue bits water etc.

11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Look back at the SKJOLD's original post and see the point. Cotswold camping doesn't sell too many maps of Kabul. And even if they did they wouldn't have a MGRS overlay.

12. But the issue ones ( available from RSMS Hermitage ) wil have.

13. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

To get back on track Ulster Fry after all of these classroom 'map and compass' experts have had their say....the Garmin GP12 is still the best model around for military and demanding exped use, as it is rugged, and has 4 LR6 batteries (most hand helds only have 2). It is easy to change between the grid systems that you will find on UK and US issue military mapping, and Lat/Lon for foreign maps that are often not gridded. The Magellan range is also worth a look, but avoid the bottom of range Xtrac - it is not easy to use in the dark, and is aimed at the outdoor leisure market.