GPS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by royalmile, Oct 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been gone through before, but I am looking for a general purpose hand-held GPS. I already have satnav for the car, which is great, but I'm looking for something for when I'm on the Plain, BATUS, hill walking etc. Therefore must be easliy portable in a pocket etc. I don't need Rolls Royce, but on the other hand I dont want to be stuck with something that will be considered to be stoneage within 2 weeks of purchase. Also if you have any reccomendations where to buy it would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

2. If you just want a nice a simple GPS then for around £40 Garmin Geko 101 GPS - gives you a grid and a number of way points - simple and cheap.

For £70 ish try Magellan eXplorist 100.

have a look on here GPS Warehouse

However for Military use always use a keyed receiver.

3. The Garmin 12XL is robust, squaddie proof and very popular. Not the most up to date but tells you what you need to know...

If you ask me nicely, I'll give you the BATUS waypoints....

Adjutant

4. still recomend the Garmin Etrex "yellow".....dogs danglies for general purpose and price

5. The Etrex tells you where you are and where you've been. It doesn't (easily) tell you where you're going as you can't enter waypoints directly into the device, so it's not like a car satnav.

This has the advantage in training that map reading skills still have to be practiced, while allowing a confidence check and providing a means to back-track along a route in an emergency.

6. i can enter 6-8-10 fig into mine and save them as way points.......as follows ..."mark waypoint" yes?......click down to co-od's and change them for the ones u want .....works on mine