GPS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Toe-Mass, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How does the Army use GPS these days? Particularly in the infantry - is every platoon issued with one/several?

2. Not issued them at all except on operations. The issue ones are bulky though we were issued Garmin 12XL's for Telic 1. Most commanders (and toms) have their own nowadays anyway.

3. Everyone seems to bring their own Magellan or Garmin. A hell of a lot easier than the official PLGRs, smaller, easier to use. Only glitch is that if the US decides to 'scramble' the GPS signals, the civilian ones become next to useless.

NTM

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Feck !
    You mean we'll have to use real soldiering skills ?

5. I don't have that problem...

All I need to know is how to say "Sergeant? Where are we?"

Before deploying to Iraq, we had a number of boxes to check, one of which was individual land nav. Basically, roaming around the fields/woods in Washington State, with a map and compass, and a bunch of grids. So the whole company is roaming around, looking for various points, to include the commander. As he mentioned to us, "If it ever gets to the stage when I'm alone, in Iraq, I've lost my company, my radio, and my GPS, and I'm navigating by compass and pacecount, something's gone seriously wrong, and knowing where I am is probably the least of my worries"

NTM

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Nice quote - for a novel.

I'd suggest that if he was diffy his coy, rdo, and GPS then knowing his loc would probably be one of his first priorities.
    Get a grip of this cowboy and teach him to soldier.

7. My gps paid for itself when i could hand it to the patrol commander and say we are here . :lol:

8. Sigh.

Sound of box getting dragged out.( BG stands on to preach)

Get with the times guys. When your unit is bowmanised, you will always know where you are as GPS is inbuilt.
    That includes all platforms and even down to PUDT level so even the patrols on foot will not get lost. As long as they can work out how to use it.

Sound of box being put away. (BG takes cover and awaits incoming.)

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I take it that everything is purring away smoothly and that the schedule is running according to the original tender ?