GPS unit for a Sea Kayaing trip

Good Evening.

Later this year i will attempta trip Kayaking in the sea solo from Land's End to John O Groats raing money for BLESMA, Combat Stress & H4H.

I have my route sorted, various Marine Charts & compass etc & tidal calulations ready to go. I am after a portable Marine GPS with loaded charts etc, i have looked on the internet and there are afew, but none that have great reviews.

Any ideas?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The water will be very cold and it sounds like hard work. I'd let the train take the strain. Nothing at John O'Groats other than a few rabbits.

The water will be very cold and it sounds like hard work. I'd let the train take the strain. Nothing at John O'Groats other than a few rabbits.
To keep warm I plan to piss myself in my wetsuite at least 5 times a day, i like that feeling, even more when it run's down my left stump (it's quite sensitive) and makes me tingle!

I'll make you tingle but it does seem a long way.
Are you trying to groom me? do you have an amputee festish? ;)

It is a long way, but Kayaking out in the sea for a few day does not stand out enough when trying to raise money.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Are you trying to groom me? do you have an amputee festish? ;)

It is a long way, but Kayaking out in the sea for a few day does not stand out enough when trying to raise money.
It's not a fetish it's about accessibility but if you're sure I'll make some soup.

Mark drop Hector Chavez a line. I have the distinct impression he was a Marine and knows some shakeys in Poole so he might be able to get you the best advice for kit choice for your venture.

C

cloudbuster

Let me know when you plan to set off, as I'd like to see you do a seal-entry from the top of the cliffs at LE.

BTW, which way round are you going?

Let me know when you plan to set off, as I'd like to see you do a seal-entry from the top of the cliffs at LE.

BTW, which way round are you going?
Haha, I am going from John 0 Groats first, they have a harbour with good road access, i plan to finish around Penzance. I will be heading down the East coast (only real concern is Dover and the 7 shipping lanes) but i have a portable VHF Marine Radio with a C/S allocated from the HM CG, i will just have to radio in before crossing.

After doing alot of research the East side is favorable due to the calmer predicted winds and tides, i have also gone against Kayaking inland as so much portage will be required for locks etc, also i have only one leg so i dont want to be ******* about putting my false one on and off.

Still very much in the planning stages, but the charities chosen: BLESMA, H4H & Holiday's for Heroes. I am trying to get a web site uo and going, as soon as i do, i will post a link on here.