GPS - Something for the field and the car..?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Green_Homer, Apr 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With my civvy job requiring me to drive usually around an hour or 2 a day to various addresses and bounty having arrived I have decided now is the time to invest in a GPS system..

My question is: Is there a system that can be used in the field for general navex as well as one that can deliver 'sat nav' for driving around in..?

Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone!

Cheers

GH

2. What's wrong with using a map and compass?

I've got a Garmin Nuvi Satnav unit in my car but I never fcuking use the thing-maps are far more reliable and less irritating.

3. To be honest I will mostly need it for work as I am usually given very short notice to get to a place and it will make all the difference at times as usually my mind is on about a million things at once alongside driving properly!!

Agree map and compass is the ultimate - would never dream of substituting! Would be nice to supplement if I can though...

4. There's a new one out from MemoryMap that may be useful but it will still send you down cart tracks. I believe that this system is going to use O.S. maps as opposed to the dopey systems that some others use

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/road_angel_adventurer_satnav.htm

All these systems have their problems. The worst being that if Uncle Sam decides to throw a hissy fit and turn off the satellites then you're stuffed; at least that's what my pal Vasco used to say when he wasn't to sure where we were - LOL

There is the is the PocketGPS expo
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/index.php - could be good for a grin. Good place to go if you are after some serious info and also a good place to play "Spot the Walt"

5. Expo on today I noticed.

LOL, typical!

Back on thread: Have tried hooking up Garmin GPS to Microshite Autoroute 2006 which makes it into a TomTom type thingy with spoken directions etc., but having a laptop and GPS floating around the front of the car is a serious distraction and a bit of a pain in the arrse. Not really a workable solution IMHO.

6. Can't coment on field use, but I have been using a TomTom 500 for a couple of years now. With up to 40 deliveries a day to get through, it takes me to within 10 mtrs of the house I'm going to.
    It probably saves me about an hour a day.

They are not infalible though.

7. Too right they arn`t!

They fail to appreciate that nearly all the arterial routes through London are no right turn,and I came close to launching a Tom Tom through the window after it directed me into a housing estate in a 44ft Artic!
    They also fail to take into account height , weight and width restrictions.
    Not impressed, truckers atlas and a bit of common sense wins every time.

8. I have both a tom tom for the car and a garmin etrex for the field

9. I see where you're coming from mate, but with a 44 footer, you ain't doing multi drops. Thats where they save the time.

10. tom tom every time, still has some gliches but by far the best on the market. Very user friendly and takes you to within meters of the where you want to go, very fast satalite acquisition as well.

However no use in the field, probably best to get a garmin for that!

11. I had a funny day with this arrangement yesterday. I've got a little GPS reciever and Autoroute on the Laptop. The idea is that it gives Mrs Ex_STAB a moving map display and a marked route on the map to give me proper directions (Hmm...) Anyway it generally works and is handy for forays into Mid Wales or Shropshire where lots of back lanes look very much the same and signposts are few and far between.
    (Not a substitute for a Tom Tom of course but bear with me)

So I programmed in our route from the Midlands to Sennybridge Ranges where we had a shoot with a Civvy Rifle club. The route MS Autoroute generated took me half way around the country so I used Multimap to generate a Route. This was much more direct so I manully put in the key waypoints from Multimap into Autoroute and forced it to generate the highlighted route I wanted. Of course it still selected the detailed route between towns and villages.

So off we go and everything is fine, a lot of B roads but of the fairly fast type and we made good progress. Then, we started getting onto some quite minor B roads, then a narrower B road, then the surface got a bit broken up and the road got narrower again. We continued through a shallow ford and found ourselves in a farm yard. I kept thinking "this can't be right" but the route was as marked on the moving map. We carried on further the road now being little more than a stone and gravel track until we came to a river. There was another ford here, about 30m wide with a 30 degree broken rock ramp on the far side to climb out. I think it was about a half a metre deep at the deepest point. Fortunately we were in the Range Rover so I just put in Diff Lock and drove through. Beyond this the road improved and we had saved a detour of about 2.5 miles. Amusing - but not if you were in a saloon car on a winter's night!

Here's the ford and a slightly more sensible route.
    http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?client=public&X=292000&Y=247000&width=700&height=400&coordsys=gb&itineraryxylist=328773%2C271950%3B287724%2C241469&qs=q&starttime=14%3A45&rn=GB&lang=&desc1=&desc2=&qs=q&starttime=14%3A45&startx=328773&starty=271950&endx=287724&endy=241469&startrd=&starttown=Knighton&startpc=&startcountry=GB&endrd=&endtown=Tirabad&endpc=&endcountry=GB&input_rt=aproute_pan&zm=0&out.x=3&out.y=5&scale=10000

Here's the same stupid route as Autoroute generated, this time from Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=Knighton,+Powys,+United+Kingdom&daddr=tirabad&layer=&ie=UTF8&sll=53.098145,-2.443696&sspn=11.22568,29.882813&hl=en&z=14&ll=52.109932,-3.567123&spn=0.022403,0.058365&om=1

12. Ive got a mini XDA phone and use TomTom Navigator 5 with it, so as long as you carry the GPS part you can walk around fields with it or in the Car

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The best thing I've seen so far (and bought) is the new Garmin 60CSx. It's got all the usual GPS functions, plus colour maps, a big screen, waterproof, altimeter (using barometric pressure), waypoints etc., and it's also got a memory card slot in the back. You can basically buy a range of maps (including the new digitised OS maps that include topographical data such as contour lines, rivers and the like) and download them from your PC to various cards. You can put up to a 2gig card in it which will allow you to download the whole of the UK OS topo maps in one go.

It's got various other functions, such as finding petrol stations, pubs, hospitals etc. Fishing times, moon phases, sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, area calculation, calculator, route tracking, mils/degrees compass, various grid data functions (as used by various map manufacturers around the world), lat/long data, waypoint marking and loads more AND IT'S GREEN and BLACK!!!!

In two words - dog's gonads.

You can buy fittings to put them on your dashboard, on the handlebars of your bike or inside the back of a vehicle by using a wire antennae extension if the unit is under a roof. It's also got an RS232 data port (as well as USB) for temperature measurements, connecting to satphones and other RS232 devices such as fish finders and things.

It's a waterproof handheld unit.

14. I've just bought a tom tom 710 and i'm quite pleased so far. Jot just for the navigation, but the traffic stuff is great, helps your planning no end and got me to the airport on time to drop the family off this morning. Rather than being hours early or just too late!

OS

15. I had a long hard look at the Adventurer 7000 mentioned above but it's not clear whether the routefinding works when viewing an OS map.
    Certainly the Memory Map sysetm doesn't incorporate routefinding.

I haven't seen anything that has routefinding but lets you choose your own maps. Technically it shouldn't be difficult.

OziExplorer is a good laptop based solution if you don't need routefinding. I used it in the Sahara and had great confidence in it.