GP's questionnaire

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Benno1, Dec 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to join the TA through the TA commissioning course. I hear that for the medical your GP has to complete a medical questionnaire. I'm currently in my university OTC but looking to continue this after university with the TA.

Thing is I'm away from home at university, can I ask my university doctor to do it rather than the doctor I had at home? Also, I had asthma when I was a kid, I don't think this disqualifies me, will my university doctor know this by being able to access some kind of record - and if she doesn't would it be a good idea to skip putting this on the form to avoid complications?

Thanks, and sorry if this gets asked a million times. I've only just come across this website.

2. Do not under any circumstances leave anything off a medical questionnaire because you think it may enhance your application and your current Doctor doesn't know about it. Aside from showing a lack of integrity inconsistent with being an Officer any latent problems could come out at moments of stress (for example on Ops) and not just put you at risk but more importantly your Soldiers.

3. That's a very good point. I suppose I'll just have to go through the hassle of convincing them I am not asthmatic any more. Do they make you do anything to prove you no longer have asthma, is there some kind of test?

4. Echoed by me - you must not attempt to hoodwink the RMO; ultimately, it could be your life on the line and the lives of those attempting to CASEVAC you. Asthma is not necessarily a bar to enlistment (you must enlist before you commission), but you are not trained or equipped to make that clinical judgement. I am medically downgraded with respiratory illnesses myself, to the extent that I would be graded P8 if I attempted to join now, but at the moment I am P7 MND. I have come to the sad realisation, perhaps a little late in the day, that the best that I can hope for in termsof areview board is P7 MLD. In fairness to the Doctor, he was waiting for the publication of a relevant DIN, which now publised does little to help my case. But, and this is the key point, I have been completely open and honest with the medics at every turn; I am quite convinced that this has saved my life on a couple of occasions and, at the end of the day, that is not too bad a result. Integrity is the fundamental test for any officer - in fact, it's a bit like your virginity, once you've lost it, you can't get it back. Tell the truth, the whole truth and see where it takes you. You may be pleasantly surprised.

5. The truth is that I had asthma into my early teens, but I don't believe I have it any more; I don't get attacks or use the inhalers and such. I don't suppose it's sufficient to just tell them this, so they'll probably defer me until I can bring them confirmation of some sort that I am clear. Am I right, and if so, how do I confirm for them that I am clear of it?

6. You will probably require some sort of lung function testing; in my case, my lung performance is improved by at least 15% within 15 minutes of taking a recommended dose of Ventolin. Now, on a good day, my peak flow output will fall into the required range, but I cannot sustain it when subjected to physical strain. All the Ventolin does is mitigate the worst effects. I can go (moderately) fast or I can go the distance, but I cannot do both anymore. You might well find that you are in the same position and only spirometry testing will reveal this (your risk reduction run is not the place to find out, not least because you are putting the PTI in a very difficult position).

7. I'm not a medic, but suspect you will find out at your medical board. What you must do is disclose that you once had this condition.

8. there is a ton of info on this very site about asthma, a search will find you what you need to know.

9. What is spirometry testing?

10. Lung functiontesting to check your peak flow - it is much more precise than just three breaths into a peak flow meter. I've had numerous appointments at both Frimley Park and at the Royal Brompton, so I'm pretty au fait with it all now :-(

11. Alright thanks. When I took the peak flow test for OTC I almost maxed out the meter!

Do I have to organise this myself to present the results to the army doctor?

12. I'd do what the recruiting staff tell you to do.

13. When I joined each company had its own doctor to do the medicals, the TA should pay them to do the questionaire and medical at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oh I just thought of something. I never officially told my doctor that I didn't need inhalers anymore. I just haven't had any/used any for ages, years. Do I need to officially cross myself off the list, so to speak? That will set me back and be a real pain!

Sorry for plaguing you with questions guys.

15. Yes the answers are there.