GPS - MGRS & Lat/Long

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wg100, May 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of a GPS which provides for MGRS and Lat/Long display on the same screen when creating a waypoint? Currently my GPS allows for one or the other, depending on the units selected in the config.
    This is a quite a labourious process if I need to convert several waypoints from MGRS to Lat/Long and vice versa.

2. What model are you using now ?

3. My Garmin GPS 72 (quite old now) shows MGRS but you can flick to Lat/Lon very easily. I don't know of any GPS that display two sets of coordinates at the same time...

4. Will you be doing this in the field? or will you be doing this somewhere with a PC or Laptop around? if the latter have a look at this link here - Having not tried this software I have no idea how effective it is - but according to the blurb it can run batch files.

I can't say I have ever come across a handheld GPS that would display two co-ord systems at the same time - but then, it isn't a feature I use so I may have missed it buried deep in the setup menu page.

5. I'm using a Magellen Meridian at the moment and the SPGR system. Both are quite convoluted in their methods of conversion.