GPS - Kinda...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 1Windy1, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Sirs,

I'm after a GPS device that will very simply give me 6 or 8 figure grids. That would about do it really - I'm not interested in an electronic compass, waypoints, PC's, maps, bearings/directions- I'd rather rely on a 1:25,000 for my map reading. Being able to give a grid reference during a sitrep by simply glancing into my pocket would be rather useful though.

Given that a device with such limited capability probably doesn't exist, can anyone suggest a very simple waterproof, prefferably rubberised and decked out in black, unit that does what I'm looking for and as little else as possible? Oh, and if it runs off the CQMSs batteries, that'd be great!

Thanks very much,

Windy

2. Garmin take note! on/off & a you are here button, I know the feeling, have an E-trex only use the above settings!

3. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's all I use it for - my E-Trex came in a natty (fisherman?) cam (lots of brown and black 'reed-style' rubber). It does the very limited things I want it do (ie check-nav) very well. It does a lot more than that but I have no need for it.

4. A link please, if you may. Thanks.

5. You want a garmin 101 or Lowrance
    prersonaly I'd go for the latter for channels and long lasting battery life my gecko is crap eats a full set of aaa's in about 4 hrs :(

6. I´m using a Magellan Explorist 100 since a year now:
    - costs only € 100,--
    - waterproof. In fact the manufacturer claims it can swim.
    - easy to use and only the features I need
    - rubberized
    - works with 2 AA batteries for about 30 hours
    - 3 metre accuracy

The only drayback was the orange casing. But I took some black duct tape and model color and now it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Okay, it looks a bit waltish but it works :D

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Magellan_MAGELLAN_EXPLORIST_100_GPS~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.de

7. Is that a Forerunner 101? I've been looking at those, would be ideal for training in the evenings.

Can you also enter lat and long or BNG coordinates into it and create a route or use it to track back to where you started?

8. no mate it's the cheaper version of the geko 201 geko 101

9. Thanks for the input guys - I didn't find anything that matches what I'm after, so it looks like I'll just get a basic, low end system.

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

One of the problems is that you do want the ability to set the map standard don't you? in case you're using a yank map in AFG rather than say the OS in Sennybridge.. (WGS84 IIRC)

Different mapping standards IIRC cause USAF to bomb the wrong field in Bos several times when THEY were calling in missions, if the story is true. Anyway, point is you should bear that in mind as a requirement when getting your basic GPS.

11. I have to set two things on my Garmin - the map datum -such as WGS84 - and the grid I want to use - such as UK OS grid, or UTM grid or lat &long - there seems to be a different grid for every country, which isn't surprising, as I imagine most are linked to the specific map datum, as our OS grid is.

12. 3W10/5825-99-451-0904

Reciever, GPS Signal

Green version of the Magellan Mentor Mk 2.

Good bit of kit, and for a change does exactly what it says on the box. Available through all "good" supply chains.

13. "good" supply chains :roll: :D .
    oh you were being serious ? :D

Why paint your yellow gps black? if you drop the ****** thats it .

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Its a combo of who made the map and where you are. Each map has a standard which should tell you - I am willing to bed some bucks that US maps won't of course but the rest of the world probably does. WGS84 IIRC covers most of NATO's Europe.

NoAm is something else, gulf? no idea.