GPS jammers vs. GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Radiance, Sep 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AFAIK the bomb is guided by no system other than GPS. Given that Iran has already demonstrated the ability to spoof GPS signals*, it is an even simpler task to jam them.

It would cost a dime a dozen to put a GPS jammer/spoofer on an unmanned technical and drive it around in silly circles. When one gets hit by an ARM missile, send out another one. They'd win the economic war if they kept it up - how much does a pickup with a GPS jammer/spoofer cost, vs. a MOP or AGM-88?

How confident are we that if war kicks off, the US will be able to land the MOPs accurately?

*US spy drone hijacked with GPS spoof hack, report says ? The Register

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Personally I'm very confident. But I also don't give a ****. Hasn't school started yet?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alas I was an ASBO kid and school + me didn't sit well together - too many hacked computers, explosions and fire alarms.

4. Wiki Wiki Wiki!

Spoofing attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPS spoofing countermeasures: Your smartphone already has them ? The Register

A lot GPS receivers ignore a significantly 'wrong' signal to take in to account various natural factors. That's why GPS receivers can actually work out what degree of error is in their position. I think min Foretrex averages at about 13m+/-.

Should have worked harder at school, shouldn't you.

5. As you point out, the GPS spoofing countermeasures are known. So do you have an alternative theory as to how Iran managed to capture the RQ-170 without any apparent battle damage?

At the very least, the worst case scenario of a GPS denied environment should be assumed. It is easy to beat the signal strength of a satellite, with limited power supplies, 20km above the surface of the earth with a terrestrial jammer.

6. If all else fails you can lay down the bomb mandraulically.

7. Did you miss that bit, just because Iran says they spoofed it, doesn't mean they did. Likewise they said a certain RN party were 'inside' Iranian waters...

All kinds of reasons why that drone came down, other than battle and other than GPS interferance.

8. AFAIK it's GPS/INS so spoofing shouldn't come into it. The beummb will update itself and then rely on INS to hit the target. As for the sons of Xerxes spoofing the RQ-170, I have a bridge, would you like to buy it?

• Like Like x 2

9. What does this have to do with the RN kidnapping? I didn't say I believed what Iran says, I'm saying that my theory is that the UAV was brought down by a spoofing attack...regardless of what Iran says.

If you think otherwise you are welcome to present a few alternative ways of downing the UAV without it sustaining combat damage. Landing UAVs without damage under controlled conditions in friendly airspace is already a bit more difficult than one might suppose.

For the record I think Iranians - their government, media and the few people I've had the misfortune of meeting - are liars and odious.

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I bet the septics still have plenty of Paveway kits in the stores to bolt on if their superbombs start going off course.

11. You've noticed the wings seem to be taped back on I assume?

12. You don't have to keep GPS switched on all the time to hit the target.

You need a brief updated picture of the terrain as a reference to create an offline map, you can't jam that as it's not reliant on being updated.

These things are controlled by people, jamming or spoofing the GPS isn't going to stop a human flying a UAV at you anymore than it would stop a manned ground attack aircraft.

13. When you have 6 to 8 satellites giving you one position, and 2 more are telling you you are 20 miles away, (for example, I know it would be a bit more subtle than that). I think that the 6 to 8 would rule, and the other 2 considered as flyers. Therefore you have a dynamic situation that unless you can spoof 8 to 10 satellites simultaneously , something is going to flag up as "not quite right".

You also need the military code, not the civvy one.

I am not saying it can't be done. but the logistics are massive.

Cheers
    Gadge

14. That's what I said...