Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pureteenlard, Sep 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick query, ladies and gentlemen;
    Is the GPMG still used as an LMG or are they all stuck on vehicles and tripods these days? Merely a curious civilian . . .
  2. If you look at photos taken of British troops in Afghanistan in the last few years you will see plenty of GPMGs being used in the light role.
  3. And in the Sustained Fire Role........
  4. Thank you, gents, I can see 7.62 GPMG's being more useful than 5.56 weapons in Afghanistan and was just curious to know if they'd all been taken away and stuck on vehicles.

Curiosity satisfied, thanks. :)

well mine was..
  6. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

GPMG on Support role = Dogs Blx,s
  7. The best section weapon in the world.
  8. A bitch to carry and keep supplied, but well worth it IMO. Nothing else in the world smells like that, son. It smells of victory.

I want one. I want one for Christmas. I've been a good boy, but that will change as soon as I get it.
  9. As from what I can gather at least some rifle sections have a GPMG again, has it replaced a Minimi or an LSW?
  10. Happinness is a well situated beaten zone :)
  11. I think you need 2 GPMGs in a section- one for each fire team. Feck any kind of LMG. GPMG is correctly termed an MMG.
  12. Did you mean to type "I think slowly" ?
  13. I agree. Dont get me wrong, the LSW is ok. Accurate, reliable, light, fairly robout.... but a pair of GPMGs will put the fear of bod into anyone on the receiving end. If for nothing else than the sheer fcukoffedness of it!