GPMGs

Just a quick query, ladies and gentlemen;
Is the GPMG still used as an LMG or are they all stuck on vehicles and tripods these days? Merely a curious civilian . . .

Yes

If you look at photos taken of British troops in Afghanistan in the last few years you will see plenty of GPMGs being used in the light role.

Thank you, gents, I can see 7.62 GPMG's being more useful than 5.56 weapons in Afghanistan and was just curious to know if they'd all been taken away and stuck on vehicles.

Curiosity satisfied, thanks. :)

A bitch to carry and keep supplied, but well worth it IMO. Nothing else in the world smells like that, son. It smells of victory.

I want one. I want one for Christmas. I've been a good boy, but that will change as soon as I get it.

think so

I think you need 2 GPMGs in a section- one for each fire team. Feck any kind of LMG. GPMG is correctly termed an MMG.

kabulronin said:
I think you need 2 GPMGs in a section- one for each fire team. Feck any kind of LMG. GPMG is correctly termed an MMG.
I agree. Dont get me wrong, the LSW is ok. Accurate, reliable, light, fairly robout.... but a pair of GPMGs will put the fear of bod into anyone on the receiving end. If for nothing else than the sheer fcukoffedness of it!

morsk said:
kabulronin said:
I agree. Dont get me wrong, the LSW is ok. Accurate, reliable, light, fairly robout.... but a pair of GPMGs will put the fear of bod into anyone on the receiving end. If for nothing else than the sheer fcukoffedness of it!
Will you two be carrying them?

chocolate_frog said:
morsk said:
kabulronin said:
Well, that is a downside of course! I imagine it will be normal drills though.... get the sprog to carry it on exercise, then take it back for op tours.... :)

chocolate_frog said:
morsk said:
kabulronin said:
If you are going to bleat about how heavy the jimpy is perhaps you need to do some more fitness.

kabulronin said:
If you are going to bleat about how heavy the jimpy is perhaps you need to do some more fitness.
I am not bleating. I wont be carrying two GPMGs, and all of the attendant ammo in to battle. On top of the normal equipment scales. :D

I prefer my GPMG where it is... on a vehicle.

smartascarrots said:
Nothing else in the world smells like that, son.
quote]

SITS BACK AND CLOSES EYES..

still able to strip and clean the bugger..
doin the gas plug at the moment..
that always was a pain..