Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Fishsoxs, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I have been using the GPMG for a few weeks now in my new TA role. Although I really enjoy using the weapon, cleaning it is another matter especially the gas plug.

Therefore are there any wierd and wonderful ways of removing concrete hard carbon after a day's firing? Or do i resign myself to scotchbrite and a wire brush?

2. Leave it soaking in a wee bit of Coca Cola to remove those stubborn stains.

*Dons helmet and awaits incoming*

3. Brake cleaner makes the barrel clean as a whistle. I use it regularly on my Diemaco.
  4. Brake cleaner 8O would that not erode the barrell ?
  5. Parker Hale 009 or similar is the best thing for softening/dissolving propellant fouling.
    Buy it online here:
    You'll want the type in a bottle rather than in an aerosol so that you can soak parts in it. Beware though it's a glass bottle - this stuff would attack a plastic bottle.

For barrel cleaning the best thing by far is this:
    Forrest bore foam. Squirt it in like shaving foam. Leave for ten minutes. Scrub out with a bore brush. Wipe out with a patch or two. Job done. It gets all the copper fouling out too.
    It's not really the thing for gas parts I don't think but you could try it.

It's got a NSN too so you could perhaps get through COS..?
  6. Easiest way to clean it is wait til your mates done his then swap it. (So long as its gleamers ;) )
  7. No.

It doesn't erode your brakes does it?
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Vinegar also works fairly well. Better than second hand Coke I would imagine!

Get an old 35mm film case, drop the plug in there to soak whilst you clean the rest.

9. No no no, its
  10. i always used to use simonize chrome cleaner..
    that was brilliant on the gas parts..
  11. Top Tip:

Get a spare. Keep one clean and one working ie, Clean enough!! Works for me!
  12. that was a naughty practice in my day..

13. Coke is a wiinner!!
  14. A spare one in your pocket, leave it in coke over night.