GPMG question

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Kaye, Dec 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While watching some pictures from the 'Stan I suddenly realised that in all my years I never actually found out why the GPMG has those notches on the stock.
    There are seven of them on each side...

Who knows what they're for?
  2. to allow better hand gripping?
  3. They're too far back for that. Look at the picture: The place where you grip it with your left hand is much more forward than where the notches are:

Attached Files:

4. because it looks good?
  5. Ribbing effect for when the mortar platoon get their hands on it??? 8O
  6. To give it extra strength.
  7. They are there to make the stock more rigid...

The grooves add stiffness to the flat surface and stop it flexing - I think it is called "fullering", at least it is when applied to tinsmithing.

It is why wriggly tin is wriggly.. :D
  8. It's a big chunky bit of plastic, so I don't think it is about rigidity. Why did the old wooden stocks not have it? And why does the SF butt thingy bob (name escapes me at the moment) not use a full butt if it is so strong, as no doubt it is on the receiving end of greater forces than an ordinary butt? I think it is a throwback to the old MG34/42 style where you use an underhand grip.

9. So it can be held in the correct firing position by someone from West Yorkshire - one for each finger?

10. The wooden butts were stronger. The sf version is the buffer unit without a butt on it.

It's got nothing to do with an underhand grip.
  11. As in to hold the weapon not to fire, ie above head when doing a river crossing, etc so it wouldnt slip
  12. The wooden stock was solid with a small hole up the centre for the fixing bolt.

The plastic stock may be chunky, but its still hollow and is shaped like a flattened ice cream cone. There would still be a tendency for the sides to flex hence the ribbing. The ribs do however give the stock some flexibility from front to rear which will absorb recoil, or stop the stock splitting when the gun is dumped on its butt...

The recoil forces on a GPMG are actually less than with an SLR as the majority of the force is taken up by the recoil mech. The force of the action closing before the shot absorbs and almost counters the recoil. The main forces acting on the stock are probably more from gunner abuse than firing stress.
  13. The wooden ones were also grooved
  14. Yeah i'd go with improved strength/grip and maybe a little lighter in weight? or like someone else said because it looks good!?

but in all honesty, who cares? as long as it does the job!!
  15. To help grip when removeing butt for cleaning/sf conversion?,or because it looks good. :?