GPMG may be better but....

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Plant-Pilot, Jan 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The GPMG may be a better weapon, but this looks impressive and I bet it was a load of fun.

850 rounds through an M60 with one squeeze of the trigger.

Video Here

Anyone done anthing similar?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It is neat the way the brass and links are ejected well out of the way of the firer.
  3. Feck cleaning the gas parts!
  4. Woulda been burnt forearms on the L7 eh!
  5. [​IMG]

Non Stop for a week on the Somme, best buy British
  6. One week? I thought the old canvas belts couldn't be inter-linked?

Also, water cooling gives you an advantage in the static SF roll. Once you get moving though, I'm sure carrying all that water gets to be a real pain.

7. If there are any veterans from the war against the japs out there,I´ll bet they can recall firing the vickers in the SF role,for days on end.It wasn´t meant to be carted around like a GPMG,and to save water they´d often p*ss in the water can to keep it cool.

I think you´ll find that the West Kents used them a lot at Kohima;I only read the book,happy as hell not to have been there!

Ironically the Lewis Gun also had water cooling for the barrel,then after carry the extra weight through WW1,found they could discard it in WW2 as being drum fed it didn´t get so hot :oops:
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry mate the cooling jacket was air powered, the lewis when fired used some of the exhaust gasses to create a draft and draw air along the inside of the jacket. This was discared in air service but a slimmer version was retained for LMG use. The lewis guns sans jackets you are referring to may have been the air cooled vickers K guns. Very similar. The Bren also had a 90 round drum mag but most were lost at Dunkirk etc. I only know of 2 and have only seen 1.
    Anorak provided by BSA
  9. Thanks for that Ugly. Don't wory about your looks..... even if you are gly and have a scruffy anorak, you have a 'beautiful mind' :lol:
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have just proof read my spelling of draft oops perhaps draught? I have some good reprints of BSA war work books from the 1920's which although commercially biaised do detail the adoption without WO direction of the rights to the Lewis gun and production for the Belgians only to see it snatched up at last by the WO.
    Good books!
    I also get along to HBSA meetings on occaision and you can learn a lot from others research!
  11. Bipod relocated onto the barrel a la GPMG, so no madly cumbersome barrel changes.....

That's a good weapon. Barrel looked a touch short for long range SF role.
  12. And in seperate piles!