GPD AND SIB SUB UNIT COMMAND

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by F9_Commit, Jul 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it true that to get a sub unit command tick in the box, SIB Majors only have to carry out regional command, however, a GPD Major has to command a Coy? Surely this is unfair and does not prepare the SIB Majors for command of a Regt on promotion to Lt Col. Why is this allowed when a GPD Coy Comd in Germany will have 100 plus casefiles on the go at any one time and 100 plus soldiers to command, whereas a SIB regional Comd will have approx 40 soldiers to command and a considerably lower amount of casefiles on the go?

2. Wouldnt be a GPD Captain by any chance would you? :D

3. Yeah, but just think of the job satisfaction you get, being there with your men up to your knees in casefiles, righting wrongs, fighting wars, kicking ass and taking names!

The SIB bloke will just be bored out of his skull on the golf course.

4. Having served in most places in Germany I know that the 100 plus casefiles are mostly such stuff as 'Theft of a Pedal Cycle / Mobile phone' and the all important 'Standing Orders'. While SIB have less casefiles and admittedly some of them are dross they do have there fair share of Rapes, Frauds, Fatals and a whole host of other protracted jobs.

I'm not taking anything away from GPD because OC of a Coy is a big job but SIB regional command is also huge job, they may have less manning and fewer casefiles but it takes some doing.

Besides that as an SIB regional OC the natural step forward is to become CO SIB UK / Germany or a staff job at PM(A) and not CO of a Regt. I cannot think of a CO Regt that has progressed to there from being SIB regional OC.

5. F9_Commit:

I'm surprised you are surprised. GPD and SIB are like apples and oranges (no banana jokes). Most SIB Majors are LE and SIB through and through. They have neither the background to run a Coy or the need to develop that skill as they will never run a Regt. They are at the top of the tree in managing protracted serious investigations and the thought of a GPD Major taking that role fills me with dread at the thought of some individuals whose interest goes only as far as their personal development to CO.

They do have sub unit command as a regional OC (granted the task of managing 3 sects of WOs and SNCOs is not Coy Comd) in so much as they are the link between Sect OIC and the CO.

They aren't standing on our toes to get this tick so good luck to them. Most branch guys I know couldn't/wouldn't want to run a section, but their technical knowledge is outstanding and that's why we need them.

I love the GPD/SIB pi$$ing contest as much as you do, but don't find anything out of sorts here.

(Unless you are applying for LE and looking at routes to Lt Col in which case bag an L3IC early)

6. .....or join the Lodge.

7. You have to chuckle don't you? RMP officers GPD or SIB are little more than clerks. As for case files they have nothing to do with them.

As for command, how can they when they don't know what it is their blokes do and when they do it is under the command of real COs.

10. What a load of old cock.

Use_the_force has the right idea here. The SIB Capt's/Majors have no real interest in Commanding a Regiment and all that it entails, they, in the main, are Branch Officers who are only interested in Branch matters, such as high level crime. GPD Officers do the Command thing, but are NOT expert policemen, there is a huge difference.

I would not like to see the reults of an untrained 27 year old Capt taking the reins of a complex fraud job, just like I wouldn't particularly like to see an LE SIB Capt/Major running the show in a GPD Company. Horses for courses, although I know which one I'd put my money on to do the better job (And he would normally wear a suit.

This whole GPD/SIB argument is crap anyway. We (the branch) know where we came from, I haven't forgotten my roots, I just chose to pursue Investigations for my living instead of cleaning Landrovers and driving around a Garrison documenting crime!

11. I would not like to see the reults of an untrained 27 year old Capt taking the reins of a complex fraud job, just like [b]I wouldn't particularly like to see an LE SIB Capt/Major running the show in a GPD Company. Horses for courses, although I know which one I'd put my money on to do the better job (And he would normally wear a suit.[/b]
    My bold, a fact borne out by some very successful SIB LE Majors being appointed OC 156.

12. Indeed, and hasn't he gone on to do well since. Of course not all SIB LE Officers would do so well, but then not all of them would want to, most quite like being in the Branch. But I know what you mean.

I just wish we could put all this back biting rubbish to bed once and for all. We are all in the same Corps FFS, yes we have our differences, but do we all not want the same thing? To lock up criminals?????

14. Sorry mate, I still can't decode it and I really do want to understand you, try again please.

15. I think he's saying that you're all (ETS, ALS, SPS, RMP, MPGS) the same capbadge and should therefore cherish one another, and stop wid da dissin'.

I think this may have been the foundation of the 'clerk...administrator' comment, which I confess left me slightly baffled until I read it for the umpteenth time.

I suspect that 'Stormtrooper66' may be either slightly autistic, an Asperger sufferer, or simply possessed of sub-human intelligence.