GP appointments or winning the lottery , which is easier ?

endure

GCM
As someone who used to wander round fixing broken computers in GP surgeries I feel that the receptionists get a fair amount of unwarranted stick.

Just because you're pleasant and easy to get along with it doesn't mean all the other patients are. Threats of violence and regular abuse from some patients aren't uncommon and most receptionists decide it's better to be wary of all patients rather than try and sort out who's who.

GP's surgeries are the spawn of Satan. The friggin receptionist Stasi should be shot at dawn when this covid malarkey is over. They're there to assist not to obstruct.

They refused to see Laughing Gas when she had sinus dramas but sent her for an chest X-ray instead, work that cünt out.
As I mentioned above the NHS physio who took my details when I went for my second dose of vaccine said that referrals are way up because GPs find Covid the perfect excuse to hand off patients elsewhere without actually seeing them. It's apparently been putting pressure elsewhere in the system as consultants' admin teams are bogged down by paperwork at a time when the hospitals themselves are working a lot harder than GPs.

*Nimbus rings surgery*
”I’d like an appointment please”
pause…
”can you be here in 10 mins or would you prefer later today?”

The NHS is set up for c.65m people, the U.K. population is probably North of 80m. Many of our ‘new arrivals’ are chronically ill (previous lack of healthcare) have manifold sickly children (as above) or need an interpreter, fortunately, very, very few live near me.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
*Nimbus rings surgery*
”I’d like an appointment please”
pause…
”can you be here in 10 mins or would you prefer later today?”

The NHS is set up for c.65m people, the U.K. population is probably North of 80m. Many of our ‘new arrivals’ are chronically ill (previous lack of healthcare) have manifold sickly children (as above) or need an interpreter, fortunately, very, very few live near me.
Bloody NIMBY! ;)

I've given up trying to see or even contact my GP, there are no appointments available for four weeks + and the phone line to book one of the daily appointments opens at 0800, at 0801 you just get a recorded message " we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back later ", by 0815 all the appointments are gone anyway.

Is anyone actually getting appointments and in what area are you in ?
Well to be fair if your GP is private health care funded it's actualyl not that long!

Tried to call again, after 20 minutes I was cut off.
During the wait, the hold music had a piece advising me to use their website to book an appointment.
So I did, I told them that I am feeling low, my employment is trying to make an appointment for a blood test.
They would have me believe that they will be in touch.
Shocked of NW London!
It worked they were in touch this morning and appointment made.

I've given up trying to see or even contact my GP, there are no appointments available for four weeks + and the phone line to book one of the daily appointments opens at 0800, at 0801 you just get a recorded message " we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back later ", by 0815 all the appointments are gone anyway.

Philippines, often the day requested or if not the day after but each appointment costs £20 in advance, whether face to face or online.

My surgery has a lot of info on it's website encouraging people to register as new patients but has no appointments available. Work that out ?

At the first hint of the Covid outbreak, my GP practice locked the doors, puled up the drawbridge and filled the moat. It is still the same. Nobody noticed a change in service as it was non-existant prior to Covid.

I would not be in the least surprised if GPs start going down the route of dentists and move to being private practices with a few NHS patients just to keep the government money flowing in.
They're private businesses with contracts to provide services to the NHS anyway so nothing much would need to change.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Maybe I am lucky but there is no major issue here with getting GP or other appointments. The practice uses the E-Consult thing to allow you to pass information to the GP. In the last few months I have had to use it to get a GP assessment for a possible lump in my testicle, and when I had a knee problem and my GP arranged for me to see a Physiotherapist.

square peg

Swinger
Or the Australian model where GPs are private but are paid either 100% for each consultation or about 70% by the Government. I pay about 20 quid for the latter and I get a same day appointment there or in at least 3 other surgeries a few kms away. Plus they are very big on prevention so it's free blood tests every year that are done on a walk-in basis. If you need a CT scan that can be done at a private clinic in a day or two with most of the cost picked up again by the Government - or you can of course get it completely free in a hospital. People here are used to paying a little out of their pocket but it makes a huge difference as private mobs provide pathology, diagnostics etc.
I need colonoscopies and endoscopy every 3 years. Booked in advance, private clinic that only does those, out if pocket is 100 quid the rest covered by my private medical of 150 quid a month that covers three adults.
The UK really needs a conversation where people have more choice about where they spend their medical quid - both tax money and their own - as the NHS is not always the best answer

square peg

Swinger
Living in Germany as a UK pensioner my medical costs are covered by the NHS with a S1 form, can always meet a medical human despite COVID restrictions, blood tests without an appointment just turn before 9 am, nothing to pay for this and regular check-ups including colonoscopies, however there is a contribution to pay for dental work, except check-ups. Germany is not totally private your insurance payment, including in retirement is based on the ability to pay and as a pensioner you need to make a contribution of euro 5 per item when collecting prescribed medications. The UK needs to have a massive rethink!

Southampton gp s have an evening rota where one practice stays open and gp's from other surgeries man it until late o'clock for face to face. It is excellent but you might have to cross the City. Blood tests are a walk in service at the hospital, you might wait ten minutes. Haven't a clue who my 'own' gp is, never cared either. Excellently managed services. Must depend on where you are.

Is this the answer...

Screenshot_20210930-213218_WhatsApp.jpg

Niamac

GCM
Location just outside Glasgow. No problems; Mrs N needs a bit of medical help from time to time and the response from the GP practice has been good and appropriate running from telephone consultations to home visits.

Only general criticism of GPs is the number who think that giving Covid vaccinations is a good use of the time of a Doctor who has been trained for seven years plus.

I asked a retired GP I know how long it would take to train someone to give inoculations. His reply;

About five minutes - over the 'phone.

He also pointed out it is good practise after inserting the needle to pull the syringe plunger back slightly to make sure that you are not in a vein as this is an intra-muscular injection.

At the Covid start he thought of volunteering to help but when he saw the number of sheep dip courses he would have to take he backed out.

kandak01

Clanker
Location just outside Glasgow. No problems; Mrs N needs a bit of medical help from time to time and the response from the GP practice has been good and appropriate running from telephone consultations to home visits.

Only general criticism of GPs is the number who think that giving Covid vaccinations is a good use of the time of a Doctor who has been trained for seven years plus.

I asked a retired GP I know how long it would take to train someone to give inoculations. His reply;

About five minutes - over the 'phone.

He also pointed out it is good practise after inserting the needle to pull the syringe plunger back slightly to make sure that you are not in a vein as this is an intra-muscular injection.

At the Covid start he thought of volunteering to help but when he saw the number of sheep dip courses he would have to take he backed out.
He's right- 5mins max training required.
Unfortunately, the powers that be have decreed something like a million hours of preparation are needed, and those have to be spread out over at least 6 months before you can let a doctor loose with a needle and syringe...

Latest Threads