GP appointments or winning the lottery , which is easier ?

I'm in Hertfordshire and ours is fine. I emailed him and asked fora stronger painkiller. He called me two hours later and I how have half a litre of morphine!!!! Woo hoo!!!
Don't drink it all at once. Save some for tomorrow... ;-)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
At the first hint of the Covid outbreak, my GP practice locked the doors, puled up the drawbridge and filled the moat. It is still the same. Nobody noticed a change in service as it was non-existant prior to Covid.

I would not be in the least surprised if GPs start going down the route of dentists and move to being private practices with a few NHS patients just to keep the government money flowing in.

Chef

LE
As I've been lucky with my health on the odd occasions I've needed to see the doc I've been able to book an appointment for a few days later. Part of this is because I like to see the same doc each time.

The one time I was worried, multiple migraines and recurring blind spots, I got through and asked for the first available doc. They had an appointment for that afternoon which I took.

It does seem to vary from practice to practice, the receptionists at mine are helpful and the system seems to work quite well.

I've no idea what it's like after Covid and God willing I won't need to find out. As I say I've been lucky with my health.

Can't get near a GP in Shropshire. At least 5 doctors in the practice but two weeks ago when I tried to get an appointment to get checked for a chest infection (off work for a week followed by two weeks of heavy coughing and little sleep) I was told that 3 of the GPs were "off"... no explanation.

If I felt ill I was told to book a covid test at the local hospital, tip up for the test at the given time, wait for the result (about 45 minutes and paying for the parking time). If it was positive I would have to go back home and isolate, if negative I could go to another part of the hospital and wait outside in a queue to see "someone"...

..no, the lady on the phone couldn't tell me how long that would take.

I gave up and bought some extra strong cough medicine. Still coughing but at least I can sleep at nights.

Can't get near a GP in Shropshire. At least 5 doctors in the practice but two weeks ago when I tried to get an appointment to get checked for a chest infection (off work for a week followed by two weeks of heavy coughing and little sleep) I was told that 3 of the GPs were "off"... no explanation.

If I felt ill I was told to book a covid test at the local hospital, tip up for the test at the given time, wait for the result (about 45 minutes and paying for the parking time). If it was positive I would have to go back home and isolate, if negative I could go to another part of the hospital and wait outside in a queue to see "someone"...

..no, the lady on the phone couldn't tell me how long that would take.

I gave up and bought some extra strong cough medicine. Still coughing but at least I can sleep at nights.
Seems to be a common problem up in Shropshire, a mate of mine was complaining that he 'phoned up about an ear infection and was told he'd have to speak to a nurse on the phone who might let him speak to a doctor who might then condescend to grant an audience. Thing is he knew that there were only one or two nurses but five or six doctors so they're deliberately putting a bottleneck in the process.
When I went for my second vaccination I mentioned this to the woman taking history. Turns out she was a physio most of the time and that much of her time was taken up with patients who'd been referred "sight unseen" by GPs after a phone consultation and that this was a problem for a lot of referral clinics. GPs seemed to have taken the pandemic as an excellent excuse to avoid patients or pass them off to someone else.
Her advice if you wanted to actually see a GP about something? "Lie, tell them it's worse than it is."

I rang 111 because my feet were feeling biffy. The operator recommended Strepsils. FFS.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
I've given up trying to see or even contact my GP, there are no appointments available for four weeks + and the phone line to book one of the daily appointments opens at 0800, at 0801 you just get a recorded message " we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back later ", by 0815 all the appointments are gone anyway.

Is anyone actually getting appointments and in what area are you in ?
I'm in London; I've got a same-day telephone consultation and a next-day face-to-face appointment the last two or three times I've contacted my GP during the pandemic.

kandak01

Clanker
Like much of the NHS, chronic underfunding and increasing demand has caused staff to vote with their feet.
The supply:demand ratio varies around the country, so sporadic failure (described above) is an early signal for wider problems.

N Ireland is probably performing worst, and there are half a dozen UK counties neck and neck in the "first to fail" race.

40+ years of inadequate (and often misdirected) resource isn't going to be easily fixed...

At the first hint of the Covid outbreak, my GP practice locked the doors, puled up the drawbridge and filled the moat. It is still the same. Nobody noticed a change in service as it was non-existant prior to Covid.

I would not be in the least surprised if GPs start going down the route of dentists and move to being private practices with a few NHS patients just to keep the government money flowing in.
As for dentists, last month I received a "You are overdue for an examination" (Yeah, no kidding!) text message and should book one as soon as possible.

About a week into the very first lockdown I broke a corner off one of my wisdom teeth and thankfully it hasn't given me any problems but am keen to get in & have it looked at.

I've now got a booking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for January.

Ritch

LE
My GP surgery is a shambles. You cannot book to see a doctor at any time - you have to ring up between 0830 and 0930 and be put on the telephone consultation list. My surgery covers a large area so the list is always rammed full.

Last time I needed help when my pain spiked out of control, I rang up and didn't get a call back until 1755. The doctor told me they were shutting at 1800 so to ring 999 and ask for an ambulance to be taken to A&E as I couldn't get there under my own steam. (I only wanted to see if I could take a bit extra of my meds!)

999 operator told me to ring my GP as it wasn't life threatening - despite me telling them what my GP had said. I ended up dialling 111 and after ten minutes of Covid-19 spiel and a 45 minute wait to be answered, they sent a doctor round.

It's an absolute joke.

It's against the law to stop your meds because you haven't had a review,
if anything happened to you due to them stopping meds, all kinds of shit would fall on their heads.
I was late getting my review, the doc told me they can't stop your meds,
it's up to them to enable you to get a review
Absolutely, but it doesn't stop them threatening.
Just tried again
14th in the queue.
Can't book via the app or the gp's website.

Shirley with mass immigration and the hordes of dusky drs and nurses forming the foundation stone of our NHS it would be reasonably easy to get a home visit from your regular GP like it was in the 70s. it's almost as if they have filled the low skilled job market with the ' new English net benefits crowd 'crapping out the future caliphate as fast as rabbits overwhelming housing school and health services

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I asked for a repeat prescription of the painkillers I occasionally take.

you'll have to have a chat with the pharmacist

a few days later I get a call from her clearly not wanting me to have them.

have you tried OTC medication? yes and it's not strong enough. Have you tried doubling the dose? to dangerously high levels of paracetamol over the recommended maximum dose?

well it's been a while since you had any and we don't want you to become addicted,
what? you think that 200 tablets in around three years is a risk of addiction? that's an average of one almost every 5 1/2 days

hoofie

Clanker

Or the Australian model where GPs are private but are paid either 100% for each consultation or about 70% by the Government. I pay about 20 quid for the latter and I get a same day appointment there or in at least 3 other surgeries a few kms away. Plus they are very big on prevention so it's free blood tests every year that are done on a walk-in basis. If you need a CT scan that can be done at a private clinic in a day or two with most of the cost picked up again by the Government - or you can of course get it completely free in a hospital. People here are used to paying a little out of their pocket but it makes a huge difference as private mobs provide pathology, diagnostics etc.
I need colonoscopies and endoscopy every 3 years. Booked in advance, private clinic that only does those, out if pocket is 100 quid the rest covered by my private medical of 150 quid a month that covers three adults.
The UK really needs a conversation where people have more choice about where they spend their medical quid - both tax money and their own - as the NHS is not always the best answer

Last edited:

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
My GP Surgery (in the Scottish Borders) is excellent. It is located, literally, at the end of my street. Appointments are no trouble, often same day. In fact, I was seeing the practice nurse for a routine blood test last week when I mentioned an issue that had cropped up the day before.

I was told:”You’ll need to see the Doctor about that. Dr Mc*****, is your GP. I’ll check when she is available,” the nurse said. This was at 10.15.

”She’s got an appointment available at 10.30, do you mind waiting?”

kandak01

Clanker
Shirley with mass immigration and the hordes of dusky drs and nurses forming the foundation stone of our NHS it would be reasonably easy to get a home visit from your regular GP like it was in the 70s. it's almost as if they have filled the low skilled job market with the ' new English net benefits crowd 'crapping out the future caliphate as fast as rabbits overwhelming housing school and health services
Many of the overseas staff who've been propping up the NHS for decades are retired/ retiring (1960s and 70s immigration), and haven't been adequately replaced with other overseas stff.

Increasing staff numbers (on paper) often don't reflect WTE, and haven't kept pace with demand anyway.

It's a natural consequence of inadequate resource allocation. Don't blame the staff, but the policymakers.
(and, just because you haven't laid eyes on a doctor, doesn't mean they're on the golf course)

Tried to call again, after 20 minutes I was cut off.
During the wait, the hold music had a piece advising me to use their website to book an appointment.
So I did, I told them that I am feeling low, my employment is trying to make an appointment for a blood test.
They would have me believe that they will be in touch.

It's very much related to where you live.

I don't bother doctors much. Only if feeling very, very bad or work related.

After years of 'phone every day at 8am until you feel better'. I even gave up on that.

Then I moved. After about three years, I had a concern. I dropped in the surgery and booked a phone appointment, was phoned by the doctor, then one face to face (or its reverse:eek::numberone:) examination. A process kicked in and all was sorted in weeks, few. Basically it was quite/very serious and they saved my life. Brilliant.

I've moved again. They couldn't sort out registering or vaccines, Covid or flu. Phone is unanswered. I've been stood at the desk, phone ringing in back room. finished dealing with me, the unhurried receptionist goes to the phone if it is still ringing.

Sh*t just doesn't adequately describe it.

GP's surgeries are the spawn of Satan. The friggin receptionist Stasi should be shot at dawn when this covid malarkey is over. They're there to assist not to obstruct.

They refused to see Laughing Gas when she had sinus dramas but sent her for an chest X-ray instead, work that cünt out.

Latest Threads