GP appointments or winning the lottery , which is easier ?

I've given up trying to see or even contact my GP, there are no appointments available for four weeks + and the phone line to book one of the daily appointments opens at 0800, at 0801 you just get a recorded message " we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back later ", by 0815 all the appointments are gone anyway.

Is anyone actually getting appointments and in what area are you in ?

I've given up trying to see or even contact my GP, there are no appointments available for four weeks + and the phone line to book one of the daily appointments opens at 0800, at 0801 you just get a recorded message " we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back later ", by 0815 all the appointments are gone anyway.

Been like that even before the pandemic in Northumberland.

D

Deleted 136127

I'm in Hertfordshire and ours is fine. I emailed him and asked fora stronger painkiller. He called me two hours later and I how have half a litre of morphine!!!! Woo hoo!!!

It seems completely hit and miss. My bro is in Banbury and experiencing exactly the same problem as you.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
In Cyprus I remember a pads wife getting incredibly upset that for her very minor condition we were only able to offer her a same day consultation with a choice of three doctors, or one of 4 nurses, within a matter of hours on the same day. Off she went gobbing off to her equally fat mate about how terrible the service is etc.

I'd love to know how she reacted when she got back to UK.

Mrs Phantom has taken upto 15 minutes to get through to our surgery (it's easier now as the local group who usually queue outside the surgery for an appointment can't do it) BUT they offer a telephone consultation with a GP or nurse (as appropriate) same day.

I am trying to book a blood test, so far it has been two weeks of,
You are 18th in the queue.
Closed for lunch.
Closed for staff training.

Eventually I will get a text telling me that they will not issue any further prescriptions until I book the test. At that point there will be a firm one sided discussion on the quality of their service.
Seriously considering going private.

Closed for lunch.

Eventually I will get a text telling me that they will not issue any further prescriptions until I book the test. At that point there will be a firm one sided discussion on the quality of their service.

I need a blood test for a repeat prescription as you do.
Called the surgery yesterday, got through to a human in about 90 seconds, blood test booked for tomorrow.

Suppose it depends when you catch them.

tiv

LE

If you are lucky the GP might call you back eventually but more likely it will be the practise nurse. Just doesn't seem possible to see someone face to face any more. In Southend on Mud.

Easy to see the practice nurse, but the GP a lot more difficult here, mainly as they're the only GP between several surgeries

anglo

LE
Closed for lunch.

It's against the law to stop your meds because you haven't had a review,
if anything happened to you due to them stopping meds, all kinds of shit would fall on their heads.
I was late getting my review, the doc told me they can't stop your meds,
it's up to them to enable you to get a review

I've said this before, but Border Farce or whatever they call themselves this week, would do well to employ GP receptionists at Dover, as nobody would ever get past them.

Snowy.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Easy at mine.. you ring between 8 and 8:30am and get an appointment same day..

4(T)

LE
Three to four week's wait time for an appointment here - if you can actually book one.

You have to dial the surgery number at 0800 precisely, then leave the phone on speaker for 10-30 minutes. If you do get an answer its an abrupt "is it an emergency?"

"I hope not, but thats why I would like to see a doctor".

The outcome is a ten minute appointment, of which 5 minutes is the doctor writing up the notes and ushering you out of the door.

Two month wait for blood tests, ultrasound or other GP centre follow-ons - if they remember to book them. Months, years even, for anything requiring a consultation. Some consultations just disappear without trace.

E.g. - 14 month wait for a physio consultation. "I guess the delay is due to covid?", says I. "No, our department hasn't been affected at all.", is the response. 14+ months is normal NHS wait time, apparently.

The NHS is so bad in our area, that its actually made me re-appraise my life planning. As I have zero confidence in the GP/NHS system to identify any chronic condition - cancer, cardiac, etc - in time to give effective treatment, I've had to think about estate planning in the event that i am swept away at short notice by an undetected terminal condition.

Often it‘s worth while speaking to the Pharmacist. Not the guy that dishes out prescriptions, but GPs have a pharmacist on the books.

I was also told that if you go to A&E with an issue and tell them the GP wouldn’t see you the GP gets billed (don’t know if thats gen though).

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I must be one of the lucky ones then, I live in east Sussex and don't have any problems contacting my GP, he will normally do a phone appointment the same day or a one to one appointment within a week. My meds get delivered to my gaff within 3 days of ordering a repeat scrip. I got a same day x-ray of my hip the week before last.

The NHS in my area is on its knees through a combination of evil Tory underfunding and the pandemic taking its toll on the frontline angels.

A good example of this was on display when I hobbled up for my appointment at the fracture clinic just before Xmas, and was faced with a waiting room packed to the gunnels, and a lengthy queue to speak to the receptionist, who was also answering the phone.

The other two nurses on the desk were working their socks off, making paper chain Xmas decorations.

I shed a tear for them the next time I stood on my doorstep to applaud and gain the approval of my neighbours.

I did get through at about 10 am this morning and they told me they are restricting all appointments to urgent cases, so basically no chance of anything if you still have a pulse. I'm getting a phone call from a Dr next Monday, I'm such a lucky bastard.

D

Deleted 166591

Our GP surgery has implemented in the “Ask My GP” system via their website. If your practice uses this tool, you will see the icon on their website. You can register there and send your request straight away. There is never a queue online and they tend to get back to you within the working day. I’ve had a few consultations online that have resulted in prescriptions being sent to my local pharmacy, all without actually seeing or talking on the phone with the doctor. It’s a very effective system. Definitely check your surgeries website to see if they are signed up.

More below.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I changed GP practices a few months ago. My old surgery was becoming a nightmare to be able to get anything, I joined the wife's surgery and after a quick MOT on a machine, measuring height, weight, BP etc, was taken on and they've been a vast improvement. I now get meds the day after I request them online, sometimes the same day, I've been able to get blood tests done, I'm happy with the service.

Our GP surgery has implemented in the “Ask My GP” system via their website. If your practice uses this tool, you will see the icon on their website. You can register there and send your request straight away. There is never a queue online and they tend to get back to you within the working day. I’ve had a few consultations online that have resulted in prescriptions being sent to my local pharmacy, all without actually seeing or talking on the phone with the doctor. It’s a very effective system. Definitely check your surgeries website to see if they are signed up.

More below.

Same here, except mine resulted in a face to face appointment with my GP the same day. No complaints here even though the local papaer has a semi-permanent headline claiming it's 'impossible' to see the same GP.

Latest Threads