Govt Will Not Release Iraq Meeting Minutes

From the Beeb

Jack Straw's vetoed release of cabinet minutes where the legality of the Iraq war was discussed on the grounds that release would do "serious damage" to Cabinet government.

Should "serious damage" instead read "reveal that we've all been lying through our teeth"?

Like anyone actually expected them to release them!
probably find it went something like...

Bliar: Maggie had a war so I WANT A BIGGER WAR or I'm going to sulk!

What is this supposed to mean?!:

Releasing the Cabinet minutes would...
Jack Straw said:
"risk serious damage to Cabinet government, an essential principle of British democracy,"
Guess we'll have to wait until 2010 to see them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7907991.stm

Justice Secretary Jack Straw has vetoed the publication of minutes...
Releasing the papers would do "serious damage" to Cabinet government, he said, and outweighed public interest needs.
Note, the interests of 'Cabinet government' (not national interests) would be damaged.

The Conservatives said the decision was "right" since the release of the minutes would make ministers more reluctant to discuss controversial subjects in future, impeding good government.
I suggest that good government should make good, weighted decisions.

Edited to add. At least there is a discussion around some little governmental secrets in the UK. In countries like Russia it is not expected anytime soon.

It would show what lies Blair and his Government told the public in order to go to war.

The Conservatives said the decision was "right" since the release of the minutes would make ministers more reluctant to discuss controversial subjects in future, impeding good government.
Utter stinking bullsh*t . What a breathtaking and blatant attempt to salvo smoke. It's because it would reveal the depth of Tory collusion in this mess and possibly even some of the personal motives involved for supporting the Cabinet when the facts didn't stack up.

It's incredible, this is a Parliamentary Democracy with values enshrined by the Magna Carta is it??

What the **** have you mendacious b*stards done to my Country and it's values?

PartTimePongo said:
Utter stinking bullsh*t . What a breathtaking and blatant attempt to salvo smoke. It's because it would reveal the depth of Tory collusion in this mess and possibly even some of the personal motives involved for supporting the Cabinet when the facts didn't stack up.

It's incredible, this is a Parliamentary Democracy with values enshrined by the Magna Carta is it??

Bad day? :D

It is now, I've just realised the utter shower we have representing the Mother of Parliaments.

PsyWar.Org said:
What is this supposed to mean?!:

Releasing the Cabinet minutes would...
Jack Straw said:
"risk serious damage to Cabinet government, an essential principle of British democracy,"
Guess we'll have to wait until 2010 to see them.
Why, do you think things will actually change? I suggest we'll have to wait till 2109

jagman said:
PartTimePongo said:
It is now, I've just realised the utter shower we have representing the Mother of Parliaments.
Just? What took you so long?
Hoping the few good men that do exist in the Palace of Westminster would infect the overwhelming majority.

Forlorn hope

Since when has releasing information constituted a risk to democracy? Oh..... since now........ I get it.

PartTimePongo said:

It used to be but not anymore - and I agree nwith you about the Tories as well. They should be on the rooftops screaming bloody murder :(

They're not Rickshaw , and that speaks volumes of the inner workings.

The Boy Clegg and Dr. Cable can make a serious name for themselves right about now...

What did Blair respect about Cabinet Government anyway? Claire Short has already stated for the record that there was very little discussion, or more important disclosure during Cabinet Meetings. For Jack Straw to claim that Cabinet Govt would be put at risk by this disclosure really is the ultimate irony. I am surprised he managed to suppress a smirk when he said that.

I doubt we will ever have an Inquiry about the Iraq War. LibDems did well over this issue, much, much better than the timid Conservatives who were too afraid to rock the Establishment by voting against the Government of the day. So much for the "Mother of Parliaments", utterly meaningless in modern day Britain. Home of the snouts in the trough is far more fitting.

PartTimePongo said:
Remember this thread back in 2006: No. 10 Warning ahead of Iraq vote

This was one of my humble thoughts at the time:
Refusing to have an enquiry is thus a sign of pure weakness. It is a explicit sign of not having the courage to stand up and debate with your detractors, it is a sign that you are not sure of your ground, you are fearful of losing the argument. Moreover, the prevention of such an enquiry continues the erosion of our democracy and freedoms and puts us one step further along the path of a dicatorship where only the elite are allowed 'to know' and the masses must forever remain in the dark.

In my opinion, the islamists cannot win. They cannot defeat the 'British' way of life. It's far too strong and too resilient for that. However, the British way of life can be broken - from inside. It can be broken by those people who claim to be protecting it, but in reality are just drawing power, influence and decision making closer to themselves.

What an 'effing surprise?

The 'Justice Secretary' made the decision. Good Napoleonic title that, in line with 'Bottler' Brown's determination to:

a. Emulate the darkest days of the Third Reich,
b. Stand 'toe to toe' with the Eurines currently dictating all our laws.

Didn't this hapless excuse for a government make up the freedom of information law?

Is this the first instance of this disgraced and wholly deceitful excuse for a government bridling against it's own stupidly drafted and ill thought up law?

No, I thought not!

PartTimePongo said:
They're not Rickshaw , and that speaks volumes of the inner workings.

The Boy Clegg and Dr. Cable can make a serious name for themselves right about now...
I have already sent a message to Clegg. He may be busy with his new offspring so I asked if anyone else will be bringing the subject up with the government.

Edited for anger mong typing.