Govt: Soldiers should help tackle floods

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE
    ... obviously the gubmint has decided that when not on ops or training, the troops need extra activities to fill their time :roll:
  2. What about all the Doleys who get paid to be available for work - this looks like work - they are available!!

They should be contacted and if they do not turn up then no dole.
  3. Erm...did anyone think to mention the incredibly experienced BRT's?
  4. Of course the Army should do all this. There's lots of them isn't there?

Maybe it would be possible for Sir Michael Pitts to visit the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, and elsewhere, to colect the names of volunteers.

This guy (Pitts) sounds like another zaNULiarbour stool pigeon producing in report what the soviets require.

5. My Bold, I suspect that even a small number may be unavailable, after all what's a small number, 3,30,300?
  6. Volunteers to explain to the Gub'mint that HM Forces are rather busy at the moment? :roll:
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

In a sangar,somewhere in the world in the not to distant future...

"Right,listen in!sorry lads.Today we are not,I repeat NOT,going out to fight the Insurgents.Half of Wales is flooded so we are now needed on flood defence duties instead!
    RSM,Get them on that plane"
  8. They're talking a very small number of loggy types to sit and help with the planning of an op - mainly because military planning saved OP OUTLOOK from turning parts of the UK into something resembling the third world last summer.

Not aware of any changes to defence policy on this issue though - glad to see Sir Michael listened to what we told him! ;-)
  9. Would you want to be that loggy? Without the ability to implement any decision, being overruled by overstressed civvies. The Army's a package not a couple of individuals.
  10. I tend to agree that the Army should be used in the event of such emergencies. After all, there's a lot of kit that's standing around, doing very little.

Given the commitments in op theatres, obviously it would be down to the TA to fill the gap. So it's just a question of arranging that the emergencies start on a Friday night and are over by Sunday afternoon.

Some of the other ideas in the statement are half-baked, though. Such as the suggestion that new-builds shouldn't be on flood plains unless there's a housing shortage :? - surely it's not beyond the bounds of engineering expertise to raise the ground beyond flood levels before building on it.

And the idea of making new-builds flood-resilient. A bit like making all new homes wheelchair-accessible with the result that carpets get wet when it rains and all houses are made more expensive with generic modifications (many in the face of generations of construction development) when only a few need specific mods.

92 recommendations! They need three. Don't build below potential water level. Maintain drains, ditches, culverts. Provide satisfactory provision for surface water run-off from new developments, the full cost to be borne by the developer, not just dumped on the local authority.

I'd also have the developers involved in existing flood plain disasters made responsible for providing flood barriers for the blighted properties that they've made their fast bucks on.
  11. It happens already. I have been the loggie who attended a gold/ silver training session with all of the other relevant agencies. It is quite depressing to see the way some of the civilian agencies work. It is also an eye opener when they expect to be able to walk into a military camp and get soldiers out assisting them. They couldn't understand that if they did do that they couldn't just task soldiers and more importantly they couldn't plan on us being around as we have other places to be!
  12. "I tend to agree that the Army should be used in the event of such emergencies. After all, there's a lot of kit that's standing around, doing very little."

Sadly thats not the case - I really wish it were though.

For those of you with insomnia, try a search for JDP2-02 - the manual which outlines our doctrine for the use of the armed forces inside the UK. Its Unclas and available on the internet.
  13. When the whole of Severn Trent were doing rabbit in spotlights impressions, the overstressed civvies were bloody glad someone in cabbage patch was giving them guidance.

The regard that the armed forces are held in within Local and Regional Resilience Forums is not to be underestimated. The Joint Regional Liasion Officers and their supporting MLO teams (BRT - or elephants' graveyard!) work through out the year to establish rapport and understanding with their Blue light colleagues in the Brigade area. That they have seen best and worst practice and can advise the "overstressed civvies" on other options or points to consider makes their position invaluable.

It is actually probably the one true "TA" role, as the ability to see both sides of the fence has to come from experience of both. A regular used to "command" would be like a bull in a china shop.

Funnily enough it is not just in Logistics that this makes a difference, but in comms, coordination, understanding of how others work. One factor that is often overlooked is that blue light services have less time to train. Most NHS trusts work at capacity, and since they are the leads on teaching Major Incident Medical Management System (MIMMS) this has a knock on effect. MLOs become a source of knowledge and can support/guide and assist as necessary. Since they also have a direct line to the military cell/JRLO at Gold, they can pass critical information/messages that are accurate, in the correct context and timely.
    Maps in the Military cell are often used by other cells who don't have the practice or familiarity in their ops room use.
  14. It happens every time York floods.

2 Sig Regt end up working 8 hour shifts sandbagging, and they all are confined to camp whilst off shift.
  15. I've got insomnia, but a Google search reveals 9 hits - 2xARRSE, 1xRumRation, a list of holsters, 3xpages in Japanese, 1xMexican, 1xRussian and a brake disc.

Then again, there's more SECRET stuff on the net than there is UNCLAS, or so it would appear.