Govt Selling Off MOD Radio Spectrum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Majors_Son, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is better placed in R Sigs but Ofcom (responsible for looking after all the Radio/TV/Sat/etc spectrum) and HMG are trying to get MOD to sell off its valuable radio spectrum.

Article Here and Related bit here

This damned government would flog off thier own grandmother given half a chance.
    Is it or is this just bonkers? Surely somethings [Defence of the Realm say] come above simple commercial interest and outright greed?

Or am I suffering from undue OUTRAGE?

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

This had me laughing. Like they care about anything else but raking in the money. You can be sure the MOD won't see any of the revenue for released spectrum.

3. Yes, once they sell off an asset they will see no more revenue for it just a lump sum (or the treasury will), surely leasing it out would make more sense? thereby we retain the right to grab it back when needed.

4. Maybe the are talking about the old analogue (MOD) MOULD and emergency services frequencies. They aren't needed as digital AIRWAVE replaced them.

Its the same with TV when the digital switch off occurs more frequencies will become available.
  5. they dont use it anymore do they, all squaddies have mobile phones
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I suspect its the 450mhz SHF area that the civis are interested in.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Here speaketh the voice of reason.
  8. Army Air core or crabs might not be to excited about that then
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I can see a conflict of interest here. If a major broadcaster or mobile company gets the bandwidth/frequency, and it comes to war, what services will be cut?

I'd hate to miss me corrie if the Chinese invade, or worse, not be able to phone the mother-in-law.

In all seriousness, there has to be a balancing act. Yes, digital comms require much less bandwidth, but military comms usage is on the up, especially with the advent of the digital battlefield and intelrinked systems, so that reduction might go back up as systems develop.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I could be wrong, in fact usually am, but isn't mil air on 350mhz or there abouts?
  11. That's Army Air Corps.

CORPS. With a P. With an S.

You wouldn't refer to the Grenadiers as the Grenadier Gourds would You?
  12. you could be right it maybe as low as 350mhz its been a while and i thought it was 400mhz plus ish.

Seven not sure what your after really, so i did a typo, does that mean your running for a MOD vacancy and gunna ruin around and tell folk off becuase they make the odd mistake?
  13. Some things can be let past, lack of courtesy to Ones Corps must be redressed.

You wouldn't let the Pinkychute Regiment stay as such would You, or the Royal Corps of Sadnals.

Fights have been started for less.
  14. well i know a few low power rf parts on cars live around 315mHz and 433Mhz. well 315Mhz in the us and 433 in euroland. These are things like alarm keyfobs and tire pressure monitoring systems
  15. the problem is there is enough spectrum out there commercially which is not been fully used? so i am not sure what they would want from a lower portion of the spectrum. everyone wants bandwidth hungry products and the only real way of achieving this is by going a little higher where the spectrum will support this