Govt overpays £26m in benefits

I Know - it's in the SCUM (linky)
Gov in £26m benefit blunder
By ONLINE REPORTER

Published: Today

THE Government today revealed £26million of taxpayers’ money was paid out to disabled pensioners in a benefits blunder.

The Work and Pensions Department said there were more than 4,000 cases dating back to 1996 where claimants were paid their benefits TWICE.

Junior minister James Plaskitt told MPs that because the recipients are elderly and disabled, the Government will not attempt to reclaim the money.

The Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance benefits are usually administered by the Disability and Carers Service.

However, pensioners get the benefits combined with their pension in one weekly payment.

In a written statement to MPs, Mr Plaskitt said the department had identified “just over” 4,000 cases where both the Pensions Service and Disability and Carers Service had paid people.

He said: “The Department is responsible for administering more than 1.6million such cases.

Duplicate

“It has recently been identified that over a period dating from 1996, there are just over 4,000 cases where our customers have been paid in error by both the Pensions Service and the Disability and Carers Service.

“The total amount overpaid is estimated to be some £26million.

“Steps have already been taken to prevent such duplicate payments occurring in the future.”

He added: “It is clearly right that where duplicate payments are being made, the position should be corrected.

“However, given that the customers involved are both elderly and disabled, I have decided not to seek recovery of past overpayments, some of which go back as far as 1996, in cases where the customer clearly did not know they were being overpaid.

“I recognise that some people will need help in adjusting their finances to the reduced, albeit correct, level of benefit.

“We believe that a very small number of the cases, around 50, involved people with a terminal illness and I judge it would not be appropriate to cause them and their families additional worry.

“In these cases, I propose to make ex-gratia payments to maintain the higher level of payment.”

These payments will cost under £200,000 a year, Mr Plaskitt said.

The minister also said single ex-gratia payments of between £100 and £350 will be made in all other cases, at a cost of up to £1.3million.
... pity no such blunders occur where disabled veterans are comcerned.

rockape34 said:
I Know - it's in the SCUM
Gov in £26m benefit blunder
By ONLINE REPORTER

Published: Today

THE Government today revealed £26million of taxpayers’ money was paid out to disabled pensioners in a benefits blunder.

The Work and Pensions Department said there were more than 4,000 cases dating back to 1996 where claimants were paid their benefits TWICE.

Junior minister James Plaskitt told MPs that because the recipients are elderly and disabled, the Government will not attempt to reclaim the money...
... pity no such blunders occur where disabled veterans are concerned.
There's a link there somewhere :roll:

I was referring to the fact that, contrary to what they say, the government will have to recoup the money from somewhere and we can all guess who will be hit hard.