Govt Adviser wants £10 annual permit for smokers

#1
HERE
Published Date: 16 February 2008
Source: Press Association
Location: The Press Association Newsdesk


Forcing smokers to apply for £10 permit to buy cigarettes 'could help people quit'

Forcing smokers to apply for a £10 permit to buy cigarettes could help people to quit, a government health adviser said.
Professor Julian Le Grand, chairman of Health England, said more people might stop smoking if they had to "opt in" by applying for an annual permit and paying a £10 fee.

"Some 70% of smokers actually want to stop smoking. So if you just make it that little bit more difficult for them to actually re-start or even to start in the first place, yes I think it will make a big difference," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

He said some people would be deterred from smoking if they had to make the effort to fill in a complicated form, get a photograph taken and pay a charge.

"It's a little bit of a problem to actually do it, so you have got to make a conscious decision every year to opt in to being a smoker," he added.

The proposal is one of Health England's suggestions for preventing illness which has been sent to health minister Lord Darzi. Simon Clark, of smokers' rights group Forest, said the smoking permit proposal was outrageous.

"We are becoming not just a nanny state but a bully state," he said.

"Smokers already face record levels of taxation and this would be another financial hit on them. Tobacco is a perfectly legal product.

"There are a whole host of things out there that are potentially dangerous. If smokers are targeted in this way, it's a very short step to slapping a similar charge on anyone who wants to buy alcohol or any other product ministers don't approve of."


Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2008, All Rights Reserved.
 
#4
Yeah Right!, and just who the feck is going to stop a smoker and demand to see his license?, some fkucwit who,s looking for a knuckle butty? FACK OFF!
 
#5
jarrod248 said:
And this would be policed how?
Probably by local councils hiring brigades of nosey ******* to go around accosting people in public and demanding to see their license to smoke. And knowing this government probably also adding them to the list of officials you have to let into your home so they can check people there as well. What, me an evil suspicious bastad? Never. :)
 
#6
"Here's yer shaggin license yer cnut..." and then stub the fag on his eyeball and then headbutt him.
 
#7
Will we need a learner license for smoking low tar cigarettes before moving onto other types? Will there be a test before you can take L plates off a pipe?

'I'm sorry sir, your ash tray is over flowing, I'm arresting you for exceeding the 40 cigarette a day limit, there are signs up you know...' 'now just blow into the CO2 monitor please...
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#9
A reasonable proposal though since all smokers are smelly bastards. Force them to pay for licences to stink.
 
#10
Brick said:
jarrod248 said:
And this would be policed how?
Probably by local councils hiring brigades of nosey ******* to go around accosting people in public and demanding to see their license to smoke. And knowing this government probably also adding them to the list of officials you have to let into your home so they can check people there as well. What, me an evil suspicious bastad? Never. :)
I think you are right there Brick -council house tenants here can be fined for smoking within 24 hoursof a visit by a council "worker" to their homes, so we have been informed - mind you there are a lot of Limp Debs working for the council and they are as insidious as Neue Arbeit!
 
#11
Sixty said:
A reasonable proposal though since all smokers are smelly bastards. Force them to pay for licences to stink.
You've probably just hit on the next Labour tax scheme, an odour tax. People in jobs that either create a smell, or cause the person to smell would be taxed on the strength of the odour. Additional amounts to be paid for smelling strongly in a public place. Low odour people only would be allowed to be gathered in groups of 10 or more in an enclosed public space.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#12
theoriginalphantom said:
Sixty said:
A reasonable proposal though since all smokers are smelly bastards. Force them to pay for licences to stink.
You've probably just hit on the next Labour tax scheme, an odour tax. People in jobs that either create a smell, or cause the person to smell would be taxed on the strength of the odour. Additional amounts to be paid for smelling strongly in a public place. Low odour people only would be allowed to be gathered in groups of 10 or more in an enclosed public space.

Sensible policies for a happier Britain. No smoky, smelly bastards.
 
#13
Finally realised, everyone employed by the govt is a complete fuckwit.
 

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
Sixty said:
theoriginalphantom said:
Sixty said:
A reasonable proposal though since all smokers are smelly bastards. Force them to pay for licences to stink.
You've probably just hit on the next Labour tax scheme, an odour tax. People in jobs that either create a smell, or cause the person to smell would be taxed on the strength of the odour. Additional amounts to be paid for smelling strongly in a public place. Low odour people only would be allowed to be gathered in groups of 10 or more in an enclosed public space.

Sensible policies for a happier Britain. No smoky, smelly bastards.
A good strong point and well presented. I am sure that when the smoking ban comes in people like yourself will be more than happy in the increase in your tax that will happen to cover the revenue that they Govt wouldn't get from ciggies. I applaud you sir.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#15
B_AND_T said:
A good strong point and well presented. I am sure that when the smoking ban comes in people like yourself will be more than happy in the increase in your tax that will happen to cover the revenue that they Govt wouldn't get from ciggies. I applaud you sir.
Ah. Presenting an argument I haven’t made as if I had. I salute your mendacity.

Wasn’t under the impression I had proposed a ban. Just a licence for smelly people. All smokers included, obviously.
 
#16
That's the Labour Fuc*wit party for you.

Create some bulls-it knee jerk rule that can't be policed.

Fall out from this:

More illegal fags on the streets.
More elderly people getting mugged for their fags licence.
More immigrants brining in fags equals less tax revenue equals less NHS funding.

What a bunch of spankers
 
#17
The guy proposing this is nothing but a first order chopper, sit back and think, think really hard, when was the day that we in the "free and democratic west" were actually allowed to do something of our own free will? The current definition of democracy in this country has absolutely nothing to do with freedom, your life fits around someone's agenda, chances are it's not yours. Big brother beyond belief.

Not a smoker by the way, sick to death of people being told how to live their lives, even sicker that half of them can't see it!
 
#18
That's Labour for you, another day and another Crap Idea

It's just another way of taxing smokers.
Another way of forcing even more illegal fags onto the streets.
Another crime wave waiting to happen.

But people just keep voting them in...

_________You Bad law abiding tax paying citizen

Labour think tank
 
#19
The licence isn't so you can smoke, just so you can buy the ciggies.

It would be like a BFG ration card.
 
#20
Things like this are doomed to fail, the government are desperate for ID cards and this is just one of their ways, get some company in to earn billions at our expense due to the government making something stupid compulsary.

If this idea ever came into effect then it would be the first step on a slippery slope, the next hit would be drinkers, then whatever else they can think off before getting everyone onto the ID cards, i can see the likes of EDS, Siemens and so on wetting themselves over these ideas.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top