Govt 5 billion pound work programme FAIL

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BounceBanana, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Work Programme: 70% still unemployed after one year - Telegraph

A GP hereabouts was having a moan the other day. All the extra appointments made by patients, for admin not clinical reasons, because of the govt fitness for work ATOS testing scheme. Now, however, those that were pushed off incapacity on to jobseekers are being sent to GP BY THE JOBCENTRE who has found them unfit for work. Presumably he is now expected to give them a sick note to go back on ESA (new incapacity benefit)

So trying to get this right. With a view to saving 2.4 billion per year in benefits payments the govt introduced fitness for work testing. Say that costs 4 billion. Then they invest five billion in private companies whose task is to get unemployed into work.

Meanwhile Mr Gove has something to say about poor numeracy skills ??

2. It is all 'smoke 'n mirrors', a bit like the YOPS and YTS programs under the Thatcher administrations - all these failed to deliver the intended results. So once again another Tory (all beit with the Limp- Dumbers) government initiative to get the lazy, fat Vicky Pollards & Waynes, bone idle, dole scrounging life style choicers off their backsides and into work.... will never hapen. Far too many individuals, families etc have become so ingrained into the whole Welfare system as clients, that they will never give up these 'Oomin Rties'. To supplement their benefits, they will indulge in some good old fashioned criminality by robbing their neighbours, selling dope, or mugging folks as they stagger back from the Pub pished.

All this is probably considered to be part of the social fabric of Dear old Blighty - a picture of a rather sad, raddled, gin soaked, piss-stained old lady pushing her shopping trolley with her life's belonging in bin bags. But we have to have hope - there is always hope for the future that we get the political and social leaders we need to 'kick erse', and get things going.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reading this I can't work out just where the problems are in this project. Sure we can blame the job-seekers for some of it , some are probably either frightened of a job or won't get their arrse in gear. But that won't be all of it. These social experiments and private NGO's are a recipe for dog toffee, with knobs on. Work Minister Mark Hoban is quoted saying "It’s in the interest of those work programme providers to get their act together. I think we can see some positive signs but I think there is some distance to go still.” ...That'll be those "social purpose corporations that improve people's lives by helping them find work , education, and skills". Sort of, because they're for profit, targets, numbers and results.

And this cryptic botty burp: “(Mark Hoban) The economic backdrop is different to how it was a couple of years ago,” he said. “So it does make it more challenging for people to get back into work. It also means that what work looks like is different as well.” Eh, come again?

The £5 billion great Work Rodeo Show rounding up the sick lame and lazy with its groundbreaking sheep dip, aint been a great success. Read clusterfcuk. It can't be ideal for the providers or the customers, trumpers on both sides. And failing policies pouring billions down the drain?

4. All "work schemes" fail utterly, in fact a 30% success rate (if it's at all accurate) makes the current attempt the best to date, by some distance.

They're a waste of public money and everyone involved knows it, but it's that or be accused of doing nothing about unemployment.

5. Ah yes, you fail to understand the intent of this scheme, money is moving and cronies have nice consultancy jobs, when money moves banks get rich and that is afterall now the sole purpose of our sham democracy, greasing the banks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. No, his numeracy skills are top notch.

He saved £2.4bn going to poor people for free.
    Spent £4bn looking like he's doing something.
    And gave £5bn to his mates.

It's a win-win-win.

7. Amazing how you skipped over all the Labour party schemes which also came to nought. Anyone would think you had a hidden agenda by skipping from Thatcher to Cameron and ignoring the bit in between.
    The only job creation scheme that worked for Labour was the amount of non-jobs in the public sector.

8. It's completely non-party, the only reason Thatcher need be mentioned is that the "workfare" type scheme was introduced during her tenure. They have existed under one name or another ever since and have been uniformly crap at doing anything except pissing cash into a very deep hole.

9. Shouldn't this have drifted into 'lazy *****' territory by now?

10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

More like we have a hard core of unemployable people that have been on benefits for years, have zero abilities other than to wear a hole in a sofa and the interpersonal skills of an orang-outang.

No sane employer will look at them, but these work programs at least give successive governments the ability to say that they're addressing the problem of the long term unemployed.

The only way you'll solve this specific problem is to make benefits conditional on attending on passing training courses. If employers see a hitherto unemployable chav has suddenly learnt basic English and maths, together with some form of trade, they might employ them. Nothing less will do.

The only way you'll make this program work is to take benefits away from people who don't pass courses. Otherwise they'll turn up, go through the motions and go right on being 'professionally unemployed'. Force them to learn skills and they might have a chance in life.

Wordsmith

11. Before the days of relentless handouts [in the '30's for instance during the depression] able bodied men [roughly defined as those with 4 limbs and still breathing] were put on projects like road building. World's gone soft!

12. I am still yet to make my mind up about the EU, but I cannot see how unemployment will ever be solved when an employer has applicants from the whole of Europe to choose between. Few workers (skilled or unskilled) could withstand that level of competition successfully.

Welfare to work programmes - the private sector has to get involved in this. Civil servants in job centres have no interest in solving unemployment and no reason to try.

The 'payment by results', figures, competition etc would also never withstand pressure from an organised (i.e. unionised) work force, which the civil service is laden with.

I don't think IDS can be blamed for trying. He is doing a lot of other things to help solve the benefits culture and welfare-to-work is simply one element of a huge number of reforms being rolled out over the next 6/7 years.

13. My bold, I agree wholeheartedly. Why on earth doesn't the government encourage (with grants and or tax breaks) the reintroduction of apprenticeships? It could possibly help solve two problems by reducing the number of young people out of work and by creating a skill base that employers & a lot of pro immigration folks say we lack!!

14. As it happens, they are.

As for unemployable useless people. They are a hopeless case and only represent less than 1% of the population. Better to give them just enough benefits to survive.

Cheaper in the long run.

15. But according to this article http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/special/cepsp22.pdf , a very poor, lower level when compared with Austria, Germany, France, Switzerland and even Ireland!