Governor General

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DavidBOC, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News reports in the US have said that David Johnston will be named as the new Governor General of Canada. Hope a comment from south of the border does not offend but I have met him many times. I brilliant scholar with the administrative skills to run two large universities (McGill and Waterloo). A great man who I hope does a fine job in his new position.

I am also guessing that he is happy he turned down the NHL draft to the Boston Bruins and went to law school instead.

2. I recognise the words as English but their meaning is hidden from me as effectively as if they were in Chinese.

3. Tried cutting and pasting it in to Word, and running the translator function - apparently, it means "His decision to give up a career in professional hockey for a career in law was a good one."

4. Well a good choice for Canada IMHO. In addition to being very smart he is also an extremely nice man. I noted in his comments on the news today he stated that one aspect of the job he really looks forward to is "meeting with the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces". He is also hard working. The term "multitasking" was invented for him. Good luck neighbor to the north.

5. I was just happy that he didn't come from the stable of clapped-out nobodies from the CBC like our last 2 GGs did.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Vous voulez dire que la derniere était une inconnue??

7. Oui. Dehors les bordures de La Belle Province, elle était une inconnue.

But I have to say that both Clarkson and Jean were actually pretty good GGs, doing an intolerable job pretty admirably.

8. How can a man who uses that vile American formulation possibly be fitted to be HM's representative?

C_C

9. There are a lot of worse choices that could have been made. He comes with some excellent credentials and a very solid background.

Hopefully he'll display more than just lip service to the job and his position as the representative of the Crown. It certainly sounds like he intends to treat it seriously and has the ability to do so.

10. Come on now, Clarkson created problems from day one, large expensive changes to her residence etc. Jean has been much better.

I was hoping it was going to be "Bubbles" from trailer park boys.

11. Quite true, but I'm using the GGship of Jeanne Sauve as the benchmark of "truly awful". Clarkson shines out compared to her.

Now that would have been something. I can only imagine what the Speech from the Throne would be like.

12. me and the fiancee saw the news the other day, looked at each other, and at the same time were like "but he's white"

13. At least he isn't a Frenchy! If ever a tail deserved an award for trying to wag the dog, then the French-Canadian "community" is it...

14. A fair point, and one that rankles with a lot of Canadians outside of Quebec. With GGs, the idea is to have alternating French then English GGs. Recently there's been Michaelle Jean, preceded by Adrienne Clarkson, preceded by Romeo Leblanc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.